Bruins Notebook

Seidenberg back on ice

Next evaluation comes tomorrow

By Barbara Matson
Globe Correspondent / May 9, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

WILMINGTON — It was just 12 hours after the Bruins dropped a 5-4 overtime decision to the Flyers in Game 4 of their Eastern Conference semifinal series in Philadelphia, and there they were at practice at Ristuccia Arena yesterday morning.

Well, there he was.

Dennis Seidenberg was the only Bruin on the ice, going through a workout with strength and conditioning coach John Whitesides.

It was the first skate for Seidenberg since the 28-year-old defenseman sustained a torn tendon in his left forearm April 3 in a game against Toronto. Seidenberg, who needed surgery to repair the damage, has missed 14 games and he’s aching to get back.

“It’s been tough the whole time I’ve been watching, four weeks,’’ he said. “I hate it. I’d definitely like to play.’’

Seidenberg said his wrist feels good and he is healing on schedule — though no schedule is fast enough for him.

“I can’t really tell, I’m just using my right hand,’’ he said. “I can’t stretch the tendon.’’

Seidenberg expects to have his next medical evaluation tomorrow.

The Bruins lead the best-of-seven series, three games to one, and though they lost the chance to sweep in Philadelphia, the battered crew gets two days of rest before Game 5 tomorrow night at TD Garden, a chance to wrap it up in front of the home crowd.

McQuaid day to day
Adam McQuaid, the replacement defenseman who had to be replaced himself after suffering a “lower-body injury’’ in Game 3, missed all of Game 4. At Ristuccia yesterday to receive medical treatment, he said his status is day to day.

“I went into the boards kind of awkwardly,’’ said McQuaid, whose playoff beard is now longer than his ice time.

After his encounter with the endboards at Wachovia Center, McQuaid ended up with only 1 minute 49 seconds of ice time in Game 3.

“I was saying to some of the guys, ‘It was kind of a nightmarish game,’ ’’ he said. “Obviously, I’m disappointed with how it went.

“Usually when you get the bumps and bruises kind of things when you’re playing, it comes around. This time it just didn’t.’’

Toughest critic
Defenseman Mark Stuart played Friday for the first time since Jan. 30, when he suffered a finger injury, and while his physical game seemed in fine form, after the loss he castigated himself for several mental errors. Shawn Thornton was having none of it. “He’s a big man, he’s a competitive man,’’ said Thornton. “I think he’s a little too hard on himself sometimes. He’s a very, very competitive person. He’ll be ready to go for the next one, I’m sure.’’

Bruins player search

Find the latest stats and news on:

Bruins Video

Bruins Twitter

    Waiting for Twitter...