CONCORD, N.H.—New Hampshire Sen. Jeanne Shaheen is urging the federal government to prevent deep cuts in heating assistance to residents of the state.
Last week, the state Office of Energy Planning said the state is expecting $19.7 million for heating assistance this winter, down from $40.8 million last year.
In a letter Tuesday to U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, the Democratic senator said that if funding is cut, New Hampshire will be able to provide heating assistance to half as many homes. Last year, 47,000 received assistance.
Shaheen says the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program will be fully subscribed by Dec. 1, when the program opens in New Hampshire.
She says over half of New Hampshire families rely on home heating oil, and the price is up 30 cents over last year.