boston.com your connection to The Boston Globe
New England in brief

City, state monitors catch dumping

Mayor Thomas M. Menino celebrated the success of a joint state and city effort to catch illegal dumpers after two men were caught on camera illegally dumping carpeting, trash, and metal debris in East Boston. It was the eighth incident dating from 2005 caught on video since Boston and state Department of Environmental Protection Strike Force have been using surveillance cameras to catch illegal dumpers, Menino said in a news release. Cesar M. Reis of East Boston and Edward J. Pina of Carver were each issued a $1,000 ticket for illegally dumping at 601 Chelsea St., city and state officials said.

Dunford apologizes in East Boston
Police Superintendent in Chief Robert Dunford, who was reprimanded last week for calling a series of sexual assaults in East Boston part of a neighborhood "courting ritual," attended an East Boston Chamber of Commerce meeting last evening to personally apologize to residents, a police spokeswoman said. The spokeswoman, Elaine Driscoll, said that Dunford, a 37-year veteran of the department who had just been promoted to second in command, "heard about the meeting and wanted to take the opportunity to apologize in person." Dunford made the comment Thursday at a meeting of about 50 police officers who were reviewing recent sexual assaults in the neighborhood. Commissioner Edward F. Davis ordered Dunford to attend sensitivity training, and Dunford issued a statement apologizing Friday.

Judge to issue findings in $100m civil suit
A federal judge is expected to announce her decision Thursday in a civil suit seeking more than $100 million in damages from the federal government for the wrongful conviction of four men for a 1965 gangland murder. US District Judge Nancy Gertner's staff alerted lawyers yesterday that the judge will issue her findings from the bench during a hearing Thursday morning. The suit alleges that the FBI deliberately withheld documents during the 1968 trial that indicated that Peter Limone, Joseph Salvati, Louis Greco, and Henry Tameleo had been framed for the slaying of Edward "Teddy" Deegan in a Chelsea alley. The discovery of secret FBI files that were not turned over during the trial prompted a state judge six years ago to overturn the murder convictions of Limone, who was immediately freed from prison, and Salvati, who was paroled in 1997. Limone, 73, of Medford, spent 33 years in prison, and Salvati, 74, of the North End, spent nearly 30 years behind bars. Tameleo and Greco died in prison before they were exonerated.

Pimp receives maximum prison term
With the aid of a former prostitute, a pimp was sentenced last Friday to the maximum prison term possible, the Suffolk District Attorney's office said yesterday morning. Following a three-day trial, Devin Benders, 24, of Mattapan was convicted of inducing a minor into prostitution and deriving support from prostitution and was sentenced to four to five years in state prison on each count. Prosecutors said that Benders lured a 16-year-old girl, who suffers from a neurological disability, into prostitution after meeting her online. She was arrested by an undercover Chelsea police officer. Charges against her were dismissed after she identified Benders and enrolled in a program in which law enforcement and social service agencies work together to get girls out of prostitution. The girl, now 17, graduated from East Boston High School, the district attorney's office said.

RANDOLPH

Reward offered for information on fire
Investigators are offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information on a May 18 fire that killed Emmanuel Labranche, 17, and his 8-year-old half-brother, Valensky DuGuaran. A spokeswoman for Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan said the cause of the blaze remains undetermined. "They are not calling it arson," spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth said yesterday. "They have not been able to make a final cause determination, and they think that members of the community might have information that can help them finalize." Anyone with information is asked to call the Arson Watch hot line at 800-682 9229.

HANOVER, N.H.

Dartmouth reports $159m in gifts
Dartmouth College is reporting a successful fund-raising year. A college spokeswoman said Dartmouth raised $159.1 million during the fiscal year that ended June 30. Altogether, 40,906 Dartmouth alumni, parents, friends, foundations, and corporations contributed to various college programs, the college said. Dartmouth president James Wright said he was struck by the number of younger alumni contributing, as 80 percent of the class of 2007 made donations. (AP)

SEARCH THE ARCHIVES