February 6, 2009 Permalink

La Princesse in Liverpool

Today's entry is a collection shared by photographer Peter Carr, from an event in Liverpool, England last year. Said Peter: "As part of Liverpool's Capital of Culture year, the French group La Machine were commissioned to create a large piece of street theatre, on the scale of their earlier work, the Sultan's Elephant. Many were expecting to see something using the iconic Liverbirds, the symbol of the city but instead we got a spider. The total cost of the event was £1.8 million and caused some complaints about how the funds could better be used. It also attracted protests from arachnophobe groups about how it would terrify some people. Despite these complaints the event drew in over 200,000 people in the few days it was on and produced something wondrous that got everyone in the region talking." All photos and captions courtesy Peter Carr, who has agreed to answer questions in the comments below. (23 photos total)

On Wednesday 3rd September 2008 Liverpool awoke to find a giant spider hanging from the side of a building. A team of scientists planned to move the spider to their research post setup by Albert Docks in the morning. Here, days later, the 50-foot tall "La Princesse" climbs back onto Concourse House and is dusted by magic snow sending her to sleep for the night. (© Peter Carr)

Holy crap! Will they be touring the Spider elsewhere? I really want to see that in person.

Posted by BGag February 6, 09 11:10 AM

Great pictures,

Peter, how did they get the spider moving through the crowds of people on the street? It seems as if the legs would crush people?

Posted by Jake February 6, 09 11:17 AM

thats just awesome! very nice pictures again!

Posted by Anonymous February 6, 09 11:27 AM

If a leg were coming toward you, would you stay put? :)

Posted by Gary February 6, 09 11:32 AM

@jake - notice the lift under the body in the last picture, I assume the legs are just for show.

Posted by Pete February 6, 09 11:34 AM

I think someone dropped acid in my coffee this morning. The only thing more bizarre than seeing a huge robotic spider walk around a city is reading the descriptions of each captioned photo above. I think everyone involved in this project snorted several grams of that "magic snow."

Posted by Eric February 6, 09 11:34 AM

Insane is the word that comes to mind

Posted by Alice February 6, 09 11:35 AM

That is so freaking cool! I would love something that unique and original here in the US. Thanks for posting this and for the links to La Machine too!

Posted by Andrew Schultz February 6, 09 11:35 AM

Jake, It doesn't really walk on the legs, take a look at #13. Awesome event, I wish it traveled!

Posted by Cam February 6, 09 11:36 AM

Simply incredible!
I assume this has been your most difficult project to date, how long did you guys take to build the spider? Could it be possible to build a similar spider with that moement range, in say, half the size?

Greetings from Mexico.

Posted by Korpil February 6, 09 11:36 AM

Where is the spider now ?

Posted by D February 6, 09 11:37 AM

@Jake: If you look closely.. it appears the legs are for show only, not for support.. There is a "vehicle" driving from the rear which is hoisting the spider body, and is actually propelling the whole contraption..

Nice effect..

Posted by Bill February 6, 09 11:39 AM

This photo set is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen!

Posted by Hypatia February 6, 09 11:39 AM

Pic 14 is so cute! Awesome pics again.

Posted by Venkat February 6, 09 11:41 AM

#11 is awsome; I love :) it! I hate spiders, but thats just cool.
PEACE OUT TO MY HOME DOGS IN JEFFERSON COUNTY TENNESSEE
GO PATRIOTS!

Posted by CALEB WATSuN @ TENNESSEE February 6, 09 11:42 AM

Yes! Please tell me that it will go on tour - specifically to New York City. Beautiful!

Posted by Brian February 6, 09 11:46 AM

No. 22 took my break away!! That's a great picture!

Posted by LJ February 6, 09 11:49 AM

Every day I can see their elephant in my town in Nantes, France

People can buy 6 euros ticket to ride it an week-end.
And that's pretty amazing how they built such a machine.

Posted by amertum February 6, 09 11:50 AM

Nice pictures! It's the first time I'm not that affraid of spiders, haha.
Sweet job, though.
Greetings from Mexico

Posted by Jose February 6, 09 12:11 PM

Very odd indeed. Pretty cool, but still kind of strange.

Posted by Dano February 6, 09 12:17 PM

Whata bunch of idiots! Nice photos though

Posted by laforge February 6, 09 12:20 PM

It's supposed to be coming to Antwerp, Belgium this summer. If you want to follow up, check www.zva.be (later this year though...).
Greetings from Antwerp!

Posted by Caroline D February 6, 09 12:25 PM

Very cool. I saw a video of this recently, it was AMAZING. Your shots are just great, and tell much more of the story. One of the coolest things ever to happen.

Posted by Thomas February 6, 09 12:28 PM

Amazing and scary! Great pictures.

Posted by Lisa Q February 6, 09 12:38 PM

We went to see this, The build up in the press and on TV was HUGE, A once in a lifetime event not to be missed......Your photos really don't show just how amazingly BAD this thing was. what was it, what was it for, all these questions and more were never really answered, and it all took place over a week. The thing was nearly as good as Manchester's "B of the Bang", But not really.

Posted by J Jackson February 6, 09 12:43 PM

considering how fast spiders can move.... it could probably run across the Atlantic in a few hours.... maybe NYC could build a giant fly to lure it...

Posted by Pete February 6, 09 01:04 PM

The French are the f*cking best ;)

Posted by borkmadjai February 6, 09 01:05 PM

Cool pictures, and an interesting subject. I'm curious why your caption tone has shifted from the professional journalistic voice to one of a casual blogger. I understand that these captions were written by the photographer himself, but it's still a strange departure from the norm here on The Big Picture. *shrug*

Posted by Parker February 6, 09 01:08 PM

Hi guys. Couple of answers to the questions.

@Jake - There was an engine that it went around on painted black so essentially when you looked at it you saw the spider first. The legs were definitely strong though because they were able to pick up some of the performers and kick things over.

@Gary - I was very nearly hit by one taking photo #5.

@J Jackson - It was street theatre and it wasn't in any way bad. The spider came out due to the Big Dig in Liverpool, so they say. Scientists investigated and moved the spider to their research lab by the arena. Then the spider went for a walk.

Posted by Pete Carr February 6, 09 01:11 PM

It's only a matter of time before those machines becomes self-aware. Skynet is coming people...it's coming.

lol...

Posted by JP February 6, 09 01:23 PM

#4 is amazing!!
I hope that thing could come to Mexico one day
Greetings!

Posted by Cess007 February 6, 09 01:24 PM

Wooooooooow! Great pictures!
My fav: #11, #13

Posted by Ákos from Hungary February 6, 09 01:57 PM

Black and white was so perfect for this. I love #16 & #18, looks just like an old horror movie. Nice work!

Posted by otto February 6, 09 02:03 PM

For some reason I have the Wild Wild West song stuck in my head now.

Posted by Catlin February 6, 09 02:05 PM

#28/Parker - per the preamble, "All photos and captions courtesy Peter Carr..."

Posted by JRP February 6, 09 02:15 PM

Aww @ #14. I would be scared too if I saw a 50 foot spider walking across town when I'm 4 years old.

Posted by jane February 6, 09 02:25 PM

yuck!!!

Posted by Anonymous February 6, 09 02:32 PM

Awesome pics, Peter! # 2 and # 22 are my favorite! So cool you got to photograph this!!! -CarrieGPhoto

Posted by Carrie February 6, 09 02:48 PM

How could something like this exist in a world without god?

- Insert random biblical quote about spiders here.

On a more serious note, fantastic photographs. #9 feels like something out of an old war film.

Posted by The5thElephant February 6, 09 02:58 PM

Congrats Pete !

Posted by Raymond February 6, 09 03:07 PM

@ #28/Parker, I also remember people complaining in previous posts about how repetitive and non-descriptive the captions have been. I personally like this alternative captioning style.

Posted by L February 6, 09 03:10 PM

Too bad it does not actually walk. The carrier spoils the fun... But the same mechanical spider capable of walking would be an awesome sight !

Posted by Jean-Marc Liotier February 6, 09 05:27 PM

So allegorical ! I love it !

Posted by Gayle Rosenthal February 6, 09 05:40 PM

straight out of dr. who and only possible in england :)

Posted by ash February 6, 09 05:48 PM

I don't understand why this spider gets so much attention--I mean, I guess seeing it up close might change my mind but the legs don't support the body! Its a glorified parade float! What am I missing here? If it walked by itself (didn't rely on a lift) then I would love it--spider locomotion is great, but this seems like a cheesy, failed attempt. The pictures are great though.

Posted by smores February 6, 09 05:53 PM

Viva Royal de Luxe! - you can visit their huge new workshops in Nantes- and ride on their Sultan's Elephant- look for it on Youtube and other sites (I fell in love and followed it for three days in London). These people are geniuses, sculptors, magicians, actors, storytellers. Superbe.!

Posted by riddlywalker February 6, 09 06:30 PM

This just a glorfied float, and WTH was with the snow? Also, the descriptions on these almost made no sense whatsoever, I guess youre trying to describe what the french guys were trying to perform? All I kept reading was la princesse picks a fight with a local atelier magnaficke cheese sauce dispenser, la princesse goes down this street that means nothing to me, la princesse farts in your general direction...etc.

Posted by sidburnd1 February 6, 09 07:07 PM

Oh my god, that poor little girl in picture 14, is going to have nightmares for the rest of her life (laughing) poor kid!!!! Must have been really cool to see in person.

Posted by Laurene February 6, 09 07:15 PM

La Princess needs to make an appearance at Burning Man

Posted by Emily February 6, 09 07:36 PM

Maybe funding for building a mechanical spider in the US could be added to the Stimulus Package JUST KIDDING!

@29 --"@D - I hear its off to Japan in the next few years. That would be fantastic to shoot if only for the photo of Japanese people running away from a giant spider." Couldn't agree with you more! What an image!

Posted by denheels February 6, 09 08:03 PM

Stimulus effect could be tested with the Spider Intervention. Match US cities with demographically-similar (and similarly economically depressed) cities. Randomly assign one of each pair of the matched cities to receive the Spider in her La Princesse glory. 1 year post-Spider Stimulus, compare. Do those cities who receive the Spider Stimulus have better economic results than those that endure Spider-less ? A major pubic policy question awaits answers.

Posted by Melanie February 6, 09 11:18 PM

Wow. Can you imagine how difficult that must have been to make? What absolutely talented people. It's so refreshing to just see something that makes no sense. Why does everything in this world have to conform to the same everyday events. It's so nice to see something a little bit crazy to stir people up a bit.

Posted by Emma February 7, 09 05:50 AM

very good work

Posted by chris February 7, 09 06:46 AM

I can't hold myself but I'm very happy to say that they're coming from my city Nantes and this just crazy and amazing. I've seen the elephant and the little girl in the street of Nantes and others and everyone from 0 to 100 years old is just completely bewitched. Nantes is a great city, you should go ^^
I never commented on this website before but Thanks very much for those very very very good photographies.

Posted by Gildas February 7, 09 11:06 AM

The human being is funny.

Posted by euhmoins February 7, 09 12:37 PM

Wow! I just followed these photo's through a friend on Twitter Peter. You have captured this mechanical beast well. I am very impressed and just love the black and white photo's, great contrast. I especially like the girl crying, good choice of DOF. Please tell me, photo 3 is this taken with a fisheye or a wide angle lens, if so what mm is it.

Keep up the great work! ;-)

Posted by Darron Barnes February 7, 09 03:43 PM

Wow, Pete. The Big Picture at Boston.com Amazing. Congratulations.

To some of the doubters: I saw La Machine up close when it was on the side of that derelict office building at it was one of the most impressive sights there eyes have ever seen.

As to why it received as much attention: it's simply not something you see on the streets of Liverpool often if ever. We're still a relatively small town I don't have the kinds of parades you see in the major American cites. We have Lord Mayor's Parades with bands and floats but nothing of this scale.

Posted by Stuart Ian Burns February 7, 09 04:26 PM

Great pictures, thanks so much!
I've seen the elephant in Nantes several times, and I really hope I'll get to see the spider one day. Do Royal de Luxe have plans to go on tour with it?
Whatever they do is fabulous...

Posted by Pat in France February 7, 09 07:23 PM

wow that's amazing I've never heard of this thing very interesting!

Posted by flashy007 February 7, 09 08:14 PM

I took my children to see la princess, it was a magnificent spectacle and inspite of the crowds no one was hurt in the crush. The fact that is was not walking independantly did not spoil the magic. for my children. The photos really capture the atmosphere of the event ..

Posted by Tony Draper February 7, 09 08:37 PM

I Have nothing to say other than....."What the Hell!!!! and Wow!!!! "

Posted by febin February 7, 09 11:12 PM

Holy Crap!

Posted by Ankur February 8, 09 12:48 AM

Congrats, such marvelous pics!!!
Wanted to know more about the artists - if you too have a look at http://3quarksdaily.blogs.com/3quarksdaily/2007/03/royal_de_luxe_t.html
to get some detailled information.
Greetings from Cologne, Germany and have a nice day taking pics and enjoing :-)

Posted by Mona February 8, 09 04:31 AM

@Darron Barnes - Its taken with a Sigma 10-20 on a Canon 30D. All the wide angle shots were. Others were with the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 and some of the evening shots with the Canon 50mm f/1.8.

Posted by Pete Carr February 8, 09 06:43 AM

flickr photo group of 'la machine' events :

Posted by KrieBeL February 8, 09 07:54 AM

madhouse.... pictures is best

Posted by michael February 8, 09 07:56 AM

Amazing pictures but this spider is not as acceptable as the picture itself... I heard many people thought it's waste of money.

Posted by Lenny Zhang February 8, 09 08:52 AM

A glorified parade float? You show me an Underdog or a Heathcliff that's anywhere nearly as cool as the princess. T hank's for sharing Peter, very nice photojournalism there. I especially appreciated the black and whites.

Posted by Timmy Burns February 8, 09 09:09 AM

5,000 years from now, archeologists are going to dig us up and be truly perplexed.

Posted by Anonymous February 8, 09 09:15 AM

@Lenny Zhang - There were complaints at the cost. £1.8 million on a spider. But the money was raised specifically for arts and culture events in Liverpool. Paul McCartney's concert supposedly cost more and that was just a guy singing for a couple of hours. This was street theatre on a scale that is rarely seen. It inspired over 200,000 people for 5 days. Its something that won't soon be forgotton.

Posted by Pete Carr February 8, 09 09:41 AM

who would win in a battle with godzilla??

Posted by derek February 8, 09 04:51 PM

I was there at the Finale, it was as awesome as it looks in the pictures above!
I myself too many pictures and some video footage of the event.

Posted by Nikki February 8, 09 09:30 PM

Great coverage, but what a waste on money, especially the way the` economy is heading.
Who funded it specifically, Liverpool.?
No doubt taxpayers money from somewhere funded it.
A Liver bird, that is what it should have been, something majestic, not a creepy crawly.

Posted by Brian February 9, 09 12:49 AM

It wouldn't be allowed in AmeriKa. I mean terrrrurrrists might be driving it!

Come to think of it, I'm amazed they let it happen in the Health and Safety Obsessed Surveillance State of the United Croneydom.

Posted by Parkylondon February 9, 09 03:57 AM

i,d like to swap it for the wife
stop laughing you havent seen her

power from spain

Posted by john power February 9, 09 04:26 AM

The only comments I would add is that I think Peter Carr the photographer got his numbers wrong, there were between 400,000 and 500,000 people visited the creature over three days. In addition six cars ran into the backs of other cars during the morning rush hour when it was first spotted on the side of the building. A record number of people signed the pledge (5) and flies disappeared from the city. La Princess escaped into the Mersey Tunnel and since then nobody has visited Birkenhead – no change there then!

Posted by James Aloysius February 9, 09 05:00 AM

Awsome!

Posted by Anonymous February 9, 09 05:23 AM

I would love to see that thing crawl through my city :) :) :)

Posted by TheSecond February 9, 09 07:20 AM

@J Jackson - "nearly" as good as B of the Bang? What?? Why are you even comparing them? B of the Bang is a completely static, permanent monument - La Princesse was a once in a lifetime event full of movement and theatrics. I'm not saying you HAVE to like it, but comparing it to a lifeless sculpture??

Posted by Robin Parker February 9, 09 07:53 AM

@James Aloysius - Where did you hear that? Local press reported over 200,000.

Posted by Pete Carr February 9, 09 08:17 AM

Wonderful! We want her here in Istanbul pleaseeeeeeee......
sevil from turkey

Posted by Sevil Sert February 9, 09 08:38 AM

Shame on people who had "in mind" this think while at the same time there were so many wars,starving people,cruelty on animals,abuse of the environment etc.etc.!

You expected few flowers,didn't you?

No way!

Posted by Christian February 9, 09 12:01 PM

I an age where all the movie use "special effects" to create something that not of the planet, it refreshing to see something like this. The photos are real, no special effects are use and this still photo movie was far better than any movie I have seen lately. I wished I was their to see it.

Posted by Bill February 9, 09 01:07 PM

@ #51/Melanie "A major pubic policy question awaits answers." I think you're confusing spiders for crabs!!
Fantastic photos Peter and great comments too.

Posted by Marcel February 9, 09 02:27 PM

It was a big event in liverpool , one of many in the "liverpool 08" culture year

Posted by John from Liverpool February 9, 09 03:45 PM

For Pete Carr an Answer from James Aloysius
I was in Liverpool that weekend and was with the crowds at the dock, Lime St, Water St and the back of St George's Hall. I counted the legs and divided by two!
Well! Actually the Echo on the Monday or Tuesday quoted 4- 500,000 and compared the number with typical football homecomings.
Whatever, they are great pictures Pete, you've got an artist's eye and you've put together a terrific selection. Cheers!

Posted by James Aloysius February 9, 09 06:01 PM

@James Aloysius - Ah right. The Daily Post said 200,000. Definitely felt on par with the football homecomings especially seeing the crowds from on top of the town hall. Glad you like them :)

Posted by Pete Carr February 9, 09 08:02 PM

Wow! You have really captured great shots of this! Wish I was there! I would love to see it in Kuwait, or better yet - crawling around in Dubai!!!

Posted by Shaymaa February 10, 09 06:18 AM

Wonderful photos Pete, beautifully capturing what was a truly awesome and inspiring event. However you really did have to be there to experience the sheer magic of this thing because it was all about the motion, and still photos can never fully convey they amazing sense of childlike wonder when you see a 50 foot spider creeping through the streets of your city in a dream-like sequence of bizarre events. This event was worth every penny bringing wonder and joy to hundreds of thousands of people over several days, and putting life in an altogether different perspective for a change. Well done for putting it back on the global map Pete!

Posted by Tom W February 10, 09 06:52 AM

I live in Manchester UK. I went to see this La Machine - wonderful and it brought the Arts onto the street for ordinary people. Great atmosphere in Liverpool over the time it was there! (Very hard to admit - being a MANCUNION !!!!) all ex-pats will understand !!!!

Posted by E M Brignall February 10, 09 11:16 AM

........reminds me of those old "Mars Attacks" cards from the early 60's -

Posted by andy p. February 10, 09 11:16 AM

Reading these comments from around the world reminds me how fortunate I was to witness this wondrous spectacle in person in my home city of Liverpool.
Here are some of my videos of the weekend:

Awakens - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGYOc5STMFw
Walks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmrPzd1Y-J0
Finale - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOZKaKTrvlA

Posted by CKx February 10, 09 12:48 PM

Can you guys bring this to Burning Man this year?
Kick you down $20 for gas !

great pix

Posted by mikegibson February 10, 09 03:40 PM

FAR F*CKING OUT!!

Posted by GALEN FULTZ February 11, 09 12:03 AM

I never get bored of looking at these photos and reading your commentary Pete :) Brilliant work as always :)

Posted by Tak February 11, 09 03:29 AM

Fabulous shots, I was at a lot of the events (I'm actually in the right hand side of your castle street photo somewhere) and it was lovely to see a reminder of it. The thing is hugely impressive in real life and part of the appeal was that they had a whole story going on they'd built around it, so it was like dropping into a film or a documentry every time you went to see it and seeing a giant spider rampaging through your city on the news carries a real buzz to it as does seeing it in the foriegn papers in Lime Street station the following morning

It is touring other places I'm looking forwards to seeing it in an ultra modern setting like Sepang after the vistoriana and Art Deco buildings in Liverpool.

Posted by Roy February 11, 09 05:39 AM

Raf O NAVARRA :
FABULOUS, FORRRRRMIDABLE......................

Raf

Posted by raf o navarra February 11, 09 06:15 AM

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous February 11, 09 06:25 PM

Dear God... I've never seen anything like it.

Tell me it's coming to New York.

Posted by Dodd Loomis February 12, 09 12:55 AM

# 14 -- Wow

Posted by Anton February 12, 09 09:54 AM

This is high on the list of most awesome things I have ever seen. I would have so loved to have seen it in person!

Posted by Lynna February 12, 09 02:12 PM

Way to go Pete!
Congrats!

Posted by Shane Smith February 12, 09 02:16 PM

I'm terrified of spiders, but if I'd known about this ahead of time (and had the money), I'd totally have flown to Liverpool to see it. That is awesome.

Posted by Calli Arcale February 12, 09 04:46 PM

Absolutely brilliant event - Liverpool really is one of the creative centres of the UK at the moment - and things like this in the European Capital of Culture year back in 2008 have definately put the place on the map. Stunning photographs as well - nice one Pete !

Posted by David J Colbran February 12, 09 06:07 PM

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFantastique araignée , vive les insectes.

Posted by Robert Lefebvre February 12, 09 07:42 PM

I can't believe this. Haven't you Brits got anything better to do?
Building giant spiders ...honestly thees Englees are crazee!
And to think that Liverpool gave us the Beatles.

Posted by Anonymous February 13, 09 05:40 AM

i am just woundre if it is still there and the peo[rpose ofit and how did the children react i think it was awsomebut scarey on the other hand for small childe=ren it looks like a momster i think it is sweet

Posted by patricia colagiacomo February 13, 09 12:28 PM

Fantastic pictures!!!

Posted by Maxomat February 13, 09 02:29 PM

Being in Liverpool I'm surprised the Spider didn't nicked or mugged!

Posted by Gabby February 16, 09 01:01 AM

The Spider was an expression of popular culture in the Liverpool Capital of Culture 2008, and whilst there are many ways in which £1.8 million could be spent it may not have thrilled 200,000 people. More than that is being spent making alterations to roads in the city, every week in the year and these works create nothing but resentment, and often create new danger spots. Lets have more popular culture and less road works.

Posted by Colin February 16, 09 05:09 PM

Hey kids, right this way, the new and improved superhighway espresso barista. I'll have triple shot Americano with soy. yessir!

Posted by beatercar bill February 17, 09 01:56 PM

It is so huge!

Posted by Jack February 18, 09 01:21 AM

I was luckily enough to be in the UK at the time and went to Liverpool on the Sunday to see this.The city centre was bursting and I found watching and snapping the crowd as interesting as the creature itself.
Been back to Liverpool a few time since, really very impressed by the place, it's a nice friendly city; some cool old and new architecture welded together, it's a place just begging to be photographed.

Posted by brian james February 18, 09 07:06 AM

Great shots, it was like seeing War of The Worlds in 2008 version . What are we to think is it art or some prophetic vision of our future distruction? When Orsen Wells played out his gag it was all fear in the realm of the mind,. This is real and its a machine controlled by men. Im sure they weren't thinking how cute the thing was, no one builds a 40 ton robot and thinks its cute.
I certainly would not like it in my backyard. Best it stay in Liverpool or better yet in a scrape pile.

Posted by VINCENZA GARCIA February 18, 09 11:32 AM

cool,i,m dutch and i find this awesome!

Posted by Ching Huê February 18, 09 02:06 PM

Oh, dear reporters, what a kind of world are we living now ?.... instead saving 1.8 millions
of British currency, UK IS EXPENDING MONEY ON CRAP. What about the poverty
worldwide? As a human being, I cannot understand.

Thanks for taking my coment,
Arci

Posted by rita collazo February 18, 09 02:18 PM

I fear spiders too, probably because when I was growing up Disney didn't make a anthropomorphised film that had a nice, talking spider who had a heart of gold ... who helped people and was kind to everybody, ( to shield me from the real, natural world of the horror of eating and death to survive); that is until later when Charlotte's web came out. Maybe that girl didn't see that movie so she could be properly conditioned.

Posted by Dave February 20, 09 05:06 PM

amazing pictures!
will ride it next week! ;)

Posted by daeniiel February 22, 09 05:29 AM

I only got to see it arrive on the Concourse House and it was fabulous just to see it spotlighted on the side of the building. It was huge even at the top of a tower block and covered about three floors of windows.
Wish I had been able to see it moving around.
All friends and family that saw it loved it and really got into the spirit of the story. Fabulous Photos Peter. Thanks

Posted by Sam Knowd - Liverpool February 22, 09 01:38 PM

I was in Liverpool on the sat, I was by the water jets, wounderful atmosphere,great fun, spider awesome
Fantastic photos

Posted by maureen February 22, 09 05:07 PM

wondwrful . I like it. could i have a ride?

Posted by shiva February 25, 09 06:18 AM

that is really cool dude

Posted by brittany February 26, 09 10:47 AM

hi
i am really surprise.thank you very much.

Posted by mandana February 27, 09 12:57 PM

What a sex toy!

Posted by Want one March 31, 09 02:12 PM

Pure awesomeness ! Proud to live in NANTES, where those machines were born :D

Posted by Piktogram April 15, 09 05:58 AM

Thank You Peter, for sharing this extraordinary event with me.
I especially enjoyed your b/w images and sense of story.
Congratulations on a job well done.
Cheers.

Posted by cicada April 22, 09 04:15 PM

cool..... big........ freaky is it male or female

Posted by danny April 24, 09 01:08 PM

She is AMAZING. And she also is VERY attractive. BRING HER BACK. she should come and stay here in HER home.LIVERPOOL is her nest

Posted by Elaine Deleroziere(Taken from La_Princesse as she is my girlfriend) May 1, 09 09:31 AM

okay i don't get it when you write the notes you say its like the spider has a mind of its own aren't the people controlling the whole thing like ones says "one morning la princesse wakes up and is not happy" how could it no be happy if it is controlled by people another one says la princesse picks a fight with a digger would they really do that someone might get hurt.

just wondering

Posted by lollypop August 4, 09 01:53 AM

wonderfull i really like this

Posted by Anonymous September 15, 09 12:18 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooooooooooooooooow that is
amazing

Posted by jenny September 15, 09 12:23 PM

Dude! What an incredible feat of imagination! Black and whites were so 60s sci-fi. Loved it! Antelope Valley (near Los Angeles). has plenty of room for an event!!!!! I would love to see this in the U.S. "Imagination is more important than intellegence".

Posted by Bill March 27, 10 11:32 PM

Viva La Princesse!! She must grace the art page of Brock Laboratories!
-Captain James Brock

Posted by Captain James Brock April 4, 10 02:14 AM

Uhh, we're gonna need a bigger flyswatter.

Posted by GoldieLucks April 21, 10 04:22 AM