Newton Lower Falls
Newton Lower Falls had an advantage over the other villages from the beginning. Since the late 1600s, two major east-west highways, the roads between Watertown and Natick, and from Boston to Sherborn, had met there before crossing the river. There were inns in the village before the Revolution, at least one store before 1800, the first post office in Newton (1813), and, before the railroad spur was built in 1840, daily stage coaches to Boston, according to Newtons official website. The town was also well known for its abundant paper mills.
A man walked past a liquor store at Newton Lower Falls on Route 16 in 1995.