< Back to front page Text size +

Newton man sentenced to 21 to 25 years in prison for 2010 Waltham killing

Posted by Jaclyn Reiss  December 21, 2012 02:00 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

A Newton man was sentenced to 21 to 25 years in state prison after he pleaded guilty this week to charges of manslaughter and illegal possession of a firearm in connection with the 2010 robbery and murder of Waltham man.

Middlesex Superior Court Judge Kathe Tuttman sentenced Benjamin Peirce, 19, in the killing of of Adam Coveney, 29, according to the Middlesex District Attorney's office.

Peirce was senetenced to serve 17 to 20 years for manslaughter and four to five years for illegally possessing a gun. The sentences are concurrent. Peirce also received 10 years probation to be served from and after his prison sentence.

Two co-defendants in the case - Daniel Louis, 23, of West Roxbury, and Shaquan Jacobs, 20, of Newton - have received life sentences for their part in Coveney's murder.

District Attorney Gerry Leone said in a statement that Peirce "frustrated after a failed robbery attempt, decided to conspire with three others to rob the victim, who was shot and killed by another during the commission of the robbery.”

A fourth defendant, Wallace Duarte, 21, of Waltham, was charged with being an accessory after the fact to murder. His next court date has not yet been scheduled.

According to authorities, Peirce bought masks, gloves, and bleach eight hours before the Sept. 30, 2010 murder, and obtained the gun with Louis and Jacobs in Boston.

When Peirce, Jacobs and Louis met Coveney to buy drugs from him at 879 Lexington St. in Waltham, Jacobs and Louis jumped out from hiding and began to beat Coveney, and Louis then shot him.

Before fleeing the area, Louis reportedly laughed about shooting the victim and Peirce picked up the drugs the victim had in his possession as Coveney lay dying on the ground, according to authorities.

The three then allegedly left the scene in a car driven by Duarte with a female companion.

Police responded to reports of possible gunfire and found Coveney. He was transported to Newton-Wellesley Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

All four defendants were arrested Oct, 1, 2010.

The case was investigated by Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Middlesex District Attorney’s office, and Waltham police.

Follow us on Twitter: @yourtownwaltham, @jaclynreiss

Jaclyn Reiss can be reached at

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article