Waltham firefighters evacuated the Shaw's Supermarket on Lexington Street this morning due to a gas leak caused by Hurricane Sandy, according to the Waltham Fire Department.
Fire Chief Paul Ciccone said that a roof heater tipped over from the hurricane's strong winds, breaking a gas line and causing the leak..
However, after evacuation, the gas line has been secured and firefighters were able to turn off the gas, Ciccone said.
According to a Shaw's employee, the store was closed for 10 minutes,
The broken gas line adds to a growing list of hurricane woes for the city. Monday night, just down the street at 1105 Lexington St., two condominium roofs began blowing off from the hurricane's strong winds. An inspector on scene deemed the building unsafe just after 6 p.m., causing officials to evacuate 25 families.
Ciccone said the building has been turned over to the owner, who is responsible for fixing the roof to the city's safety code.
Waltham Fire workers have responded to over 120 calls since the onset of Hurricane Sandy, according to the department.
"Like everybody else, we've had numerous downed trees and power lines, and sporadic power outages," Ciccone said.
As of 1 p.m., over 3,400 Waltham NStar customers are still without power.
Jaclyn Reiss can be reached at email@example.com