< Back to front page Text size +

Newton man sentenced to life in prison for 2010 murder of Waltham man

Posted by Jaclyn Reiss  October 2, 2012 02:25 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

A Newton man was sentenced to life in prison today after pleading guilty to second degree murder for the 2010 murder of Waltham resident Adam Coveney, according to Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone.

Shaquan Jacobs, 20, pleaded guilty today in Middlesex Superior Court to charges of murder in the second degree and attempted armed robbery. Middlesex Superior Court Judge Kathe Tuttman sentenced the defendant to life in state prison with the possibility of parole after 15 years for the murder charge, and four to five years in state prison for the attempted armed robbery charge.

"The defendant has now admitted responsibility for his actions and will be held accountable for the rest of his life," Leone said in a prepared statement.

A codefendant in the case, Daniel Louis, 23 of West Roxbury, was sentenced last month to life in prison, without parole, for his role in the murder. He was found guilty by a jury on charges of murder, attempted armed robbery, and possession of a firearm. In addition to his life sentence, he will receive four to five years in state prison for the attempted armed robbery and two to three years in state prison for the possession of a firearm.

According to authorities, Louis shot Coveney in the abdomen after Louis and several then-teenagers allegedly attempted to rob Coveney during a drug deal.

Also charged in connection with the Sept. 30, 2010 murder of Coveney is Benjamin Peirce, 19, of Newton. His next court date is October 12.

A fourth defendant, Wallace Duarte, 20, of Waltham, was charged with being an accessory after the fact to murder for allegedly driving the other defendants from the scene. His next court date has not yet been scheduled.

According to authorities, Peirce allegedly bought masks, gloves, and bleach eight hours before the murder, and allegedly obtained the gun with Louis and Jacobs in Boston.

When Peirce, Jacobs and Louis allegedly met Coveney to buy drugs from him at 879 Lexington St. in Waltham, Jacobs and Louis allegedly jumped out from hiding and began to beat Coveney, and Louis then shot him.

Before fleeing the area, Louis is alleged to have laughed about shooting the victim and Peirce allegedly picked up the drugs the victim had in his possession as Coveney lay dying on the ground.

The three then allegedly left the scene in a car driven by Duarte with a female companion.

Peirce was arrested on the morning of Oct. 1, 2010 and arraigned that afternoon in Waltham District Court where he was ordered held without bail. Jacobs, Louis, and Duarte were arrested in the afternoon of Oct. 1, 2010. They were arraigned on Oct. 4, 2010 in Waltham District Court. Jacobs and Louis were also ordered held without bail.

The case was investigated by Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office and Waltham Police.

Follow us on Twitter: @yourtownwaltham, @jaclynreiss

Jaclyn Reiss can be reached at

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article