Waltham, Watertown, Belmont high school grads receive nursing scholarships from Mount Auburn Hospital
Mount Auburn Hospital, a Harvard teaching hospital, has awarded six $500 college scholarships to local high school graduates pursuing nursing degrees this fall, according to hospital representatives.
The six recipients include:
- Alicia Vantour, who has just graduated from Waltham High School and will be attending Boston College. Alicia was inspired to pursue nursing after experiencing caretaking first hand with her grandmother, who suffers from lupus.
- Samantha Green, who has just graduated from Watertown High School and will be attending UMass Dartmouth. Samantha was inspired to pursue nursing after shadowing her aunt, who works as a nurse, and subsequently fell in love with the field and helping others.
- Nazha Ferradi, who has just graduated from Somerville High School and will be attending UMass Lowell. "As a young girl, I was always interested in helping people," Ferradi said. "I would like to make a difference in peoples' lives. It begins with a smile."
- Jackie Ciommo, who has just graduated from Belmont High School and will be attending Quinnipiac University. Ciommo said she has always been interested in the medical field, and hopes to work in pediatrics or intensive care. "I've had experience taking care of my great-grandma and great-aunt who have/had always been in and out of the hospital," Ciommo said. "I was really inspired by the compassion the nurses had and I really knew it was the profession for me."
- Lina Sganga, who has just graduated from Burlington High School and will be also attending UMass Lowell. Sganga, who was diagnosed with Leukemia at 9 years old, said being around nurses for so many years has inspired her to become a nurse.
- Kayla Adams-Sena, who recently graduated from Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School and will attend Pace University in New York in the fall. "I want to go into nursing because it makes me feel good helping others and working to or passing their standards," Adams-Sena said. "I've helped my grandfather take care of my aunt and I really enjoy it and the feeling it brings me."
More information about the Mount Auburn Hospital can be found on the organization's website.
Jaclyn Reiss can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org