(Patrick D. Rosso/Boston.com/2011)
The developer of a planned Dunkin' Donuts on Tremont Street in the South End has withdrawn his proposal amid a flurry of complaints from neighbors.
According to officials with the Zoning Board of Appeals, Clayton Turbull, developer of the proposed Dunkin’ Donuts at 655 Tremont St. withdrew his request for variance to serve food at the location. Turnbull said he will not continue with his plans to develop the space.
“We are not going to pursue this because the landlord folded after being bombarded by the same folks again and again,” said Turnbull. “These people shutdown the project without giving us a chance. I would call it neighborhood bullying.”
The project, which had come under scrutiny by neighbors because of their concerns about the size of the project and the high concentration of restaurants in the area, proposed to redevelop the space on Tremont Street into a nearly 3,000 square-foot Dunkin’ Donuts.
Turnbull was seeking a variance to allow him to serve food at the establishment, which is currently zoned for retail, however a take-out restaurant over 2,500 square-feet is forbidden by the zoning code.
Turnbull has not appeared before the community to discuss his plans because he said he wanted to have the design completed prior to a community meeting. He was scheduled to meet with the Pilot Block Neighborhood Association Thursday.
Turnbull has confirmed that he will not be attending the Thursday meeting.
If the new restaurant had been approved it would be the neighborhood’s fifth Dunkin’ Donuts.
Boston.com has set up a poll to allow residents to vote on the issue.