The apparent poisoning of two dogs has raised alarm among South Boston pet owners.
Two greyhound mixes were poisoned with food that was thrown into their N Street yard, according to the technology and lifestyle blog, BostInno.
The Baldner family, who owned the two dogs, told WHDH-TV that they found cheese with rat poison in it and that the dogs were made so sick that they had to be put down.
Jane Fulton, owner of Fenway Bark a South Boston pet hotel, said by phone Wednesday morning that residents are concerned.
“A lot of my customer base is in South Boston, and I’m really concerned about them,” Fulton said. “It’s horrible; people are scared.”
Fulton said an e-mail she received Tuesday afternoon also said there were reports that poison had been left out at Farragut Park.
The Boston Police Department said that it has not received any formal complaints on the issue, and no incident reports have been filed with the local district office.
But Fulton said dog owners need to be vigilant.
“If you think your dog has been exposed to poison, you need to call the vet right away and get a sample of whatever they ate, because it can be treatable” said Fulton. “People need to also teach their dogs to ‘leave it and drop it.’”
In Charlestown recently, dog owners said someone tried to poison their pets by soaking hot dogs in anti-freeze.