The following is a statement by Davis Square Partners, developer of the Maxwell's Green apartment complex.
The scene in Somerville has never been hotter and Maxwell's Green, the neighborhood's newest eco-friendly transit-oriented community, is located in the middle of it all. Overflowing with culture, shopping, restaurants and nightlife, lined with public art, parks, and community green space, from Davis Square to Prospect Hill, there is never a dull moment living in Somerville or at Maxwell"s Green.
The Maxwell's Green team asked residents, Facebook friends and others for their input about some of the best things Somerville has to offer. After analyzing the responses and considering the wide variety of themes participants discussed, we present the following: 10 Things to Love about Somerville
10. Fun fitness opportunities: Somerville is a healthy place with lots of opportunity for exercise and outdoor activities - including biking, walking, running and all kinds of sports. The Somerville Homeless Coalition's annual 5k road race is a huge event that starts and finishes in Davis Square. And the Somerville Road Runners are a running club accessible to individuals at all levels. Maxwell's Green has embodied the spirit and culture of Somerville"s healthy lifestyle with the on-site availability of local yoga instructors and fitness trainers. Maxwell's Green residents can strengthen their bodies while strengthening their community bonds. Options include regularly scheduled classes in the yoga studio, boot camp classes on the community green, and access to a state-of-the-art fitness center featuring the latest equipment - including new treadmills, bikes, elliptical machines and weight lifting stations.
9. Farmers Market: Somerville offers a fresh Farmers Market in Davis Square every Wednesday from 12 to 6pm from May 23 through November 21. The market brings neighboring farmers directly to you with fresh, organically certified food to satisfy all of your cooking needs. You can also shop at many weekend and winter farmer's markets to get local produce year-round. Maxwell's Green also brings fresh fruits and vegetables directly to residents each week, with onsite delivery through Boston Organics.
8. Fairs, Festivals, Culture and Entertainment: There is always something to do in Somerville including local contests, ArtBeat, Dog Fest and Biergarten. With the historic Somerville Theatre located at the heart of the city, there is always an event for those craving culture. Davis Square is also a hub for great live music. The Sunday open blues jam at Johnny D's is legendary. Maxwell's Green participates in local events to promote community bonds, pairing up with local wineries and festivals to bring the best of Somerville directly to you. And with the theater room at Maxwell's Green you can even host your own film festival or enjoy New England Patriots games theater-style.
7. Strong local business community: You'll find many thriving local businesses in Somerville, from markets selling local products to neighborhood cafes. The vibrant array of shops will satisfy any style and help you find exactly what you are looking for. The Somerville Chamber of Commerce is active and engaged in promoting local businesses and helping them succeed through events such as Oktoberfest, The Taste of Somerville and the popular Business After Hours networking series. On Oct. 18 the Somerville Chamber of Commerce hosts an event at Maxwell"s Green.
6. Unique Urban Lifestyle: Maxwell's Green offers a unique urban lifestyle that matches the exciting vibe and dynamic of Somerville living. This includes open community greens, outdoor living spaces, and a garage with electric car charging stations and bicycle storage. The apartment amenities include a smoke-free environment, LEED-certified apartments and Energy Star appliances, all features that are important and necessary for a fully eco-friendly, urban lifestyle. The amenities at Maxwell's Green, meanwhile, provide unique experiences and opportunities for residents to get the most out of every day. This includes a social networking lounge, a theater room, and a roof deck. The eco-friendly Amenity Center features a chef's kitchen and sophisticated dining, lounging, and entertainment areas, and hosts monthly special events and opportunities for each and every resident to enjoy.
5. Pet Friendly Living: Somerville loves pets, and so does Maxwell's Green! There are many pet-friendly living spaces available at Maxwell"s Green and we are home to dozens of pet owners. The Somerville Dog Festival is a big hit with the residents at Maxwell's Green and fellow Somerville residents. The communal outdoor living area is perfect for pets too!
4. Bike friendly culture: If you are an avid cyclist or simply love to take your bike for a leisurely Sunday ride, there's no better place to live than Somerville. Maxwell's Green also has an ideal bike friendly culture with bike storage space that is fit for everyone. Conveniently situated along the community bike path in Somerville, it is in close proximity to some of the best neighborhoods in Greater Boston.
3. Restaurants: Somerville is a legendary hot spot for premier local restaurants. You will always find something delicious in Davis Square, located less than a mile from Maxwell's Green. Home to restaurants and eateries featured on Food Network, Somerville is perfect for self-proclaimed 'foodies' or those just looking to grab a bite. And now with the new, state-of-the-art chef's kitchen at Maxwell's Green, you can be a chef for your friends and family.
2. The Squares: Davis Square may be considered the cultural epicenter of Somerville, but it's far from the only square with great activity and lifestyle options. There's Union Square, Porter Square, Ball Square, Teele Square and Magoun Square - each with its own special identity, community and reasons to visit again and again. The one important thing in common is they are all very Somerville!
1. Happiness: Somerville is a very happy place. And the city has the data to prove it. City Hall conducted a Happiness Survey last year by polling more than 6,500 residents. The result: Overall the residents of Somerville report a 'happiness index' of 7.5 out of a possible 10. Thats a lot of happy people! The first study of its kind by any America city, the Somerville Happiness Survey measured factors such as overall beauty and physical setting, the quality of public schools, effectiveness of police, and overall satisfaction with life in general. Live at Maxwell's Green and you're likely to score a 10 on the happiness survey!
About Maxwell's Green:
Maxwell's Green is a residential development project located less than a mile from Davis Square in Somerville. Once complete, Maxwell's Green will offer a unique and vibrant living experience featuring 184 LEED Certified and Certifiable units, including studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom flats and three-bedroom townhomes and 24 units of affordable housing. Maxwell's Green is located on a former Brownfield site that once housed a manufacturing plant, and the development team - led by Davis Square Partners - has invested significant resources to reclaim the once blighted site. With expansive green space, the addition of the Somerville Community Path, and close to multiple public transit options, Maxwell's Green meets nearly all of the criteria for smart growth development and has been identified as a model for transit oriented development across the country. For more information, visit www.maxwellsgreen.com.