< Back to front page Text size +

Scituate escapes full wrath of storm, 3100 still without power

Posted by Jessica Bartlett  October 30, 2012 08:13 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Scituate residents are waking up to an optimistic siight Tuesday morning, as flooded streets have receded, many downed wires have been fixed, and damage, for the most part, was relegated mainly to trees.

“It was reported that there were no major issues. A bit of overwash but nothing you don’t typically get,” said Town Administrator Patricia Vinchesi.

The town lost the roof at the Harbor Community Building, and the town still has 3100 without power.

Overall, however, things went well.

“I think that comparatively, we’re obviously not facing what New Jersey and New York are, but we were proactive and cautious given this is the third major storm Scituate has had in the last 3 years,” Vinchesi said. “Everyone did what needed to be done. Folks were advised to what was happening; now we’re in the clean up phase.”

According to a release from the town, crews will spend the next few days restoring power. Though all municipal offices are open, all schools are closed.

And while National Grid still has much to do, their response so far has been good, Vinchesi said.

“We had a major wire down in front street last night and that was actually repaired at 3 a.m., so while we don’t expect the rest of the power to come on quickly, that was a priority call as it was effecting all businesses and the Peggotty beach area. Those wires went down…probably around 7ish, and it was restored overnight in the wee hours of the morning,” she said.

Town officials will be meeting later on today to discuss closing down the shelter, which has one person in it currently.

The shelter closing truly depends on how long people will not have power, Vinchesi said. If it’s going to be days, the town will need to provide services, similar to Hurricane Irene’s event last year, she said.

The town will also spend the next few weeks inspecting seawalls to insure that there has been no further damage.

“As we do with every storm, the engineering division will go out and field inspect all the seawalls in town to determine if there have been any changed. But before the weather started we were confident our seawalls wouldn’t be compromised. Particularly the patch,” Vinchesi said.

The breach in the seawall at Oceanside Drive was in the midst of a repair prior to the storm. With the storm coming in, contractors temporarily fixed the 60-foot breach.

That temporary fix held strong, Vinchesi said, and a more permanent fix will be finished soon.

“As soon as things dry out, the contractors will have to spend another day or two taking out armor stone again and re-excavating the area for the foundation to be poured, but provided we have good weather…that work should be completed by the end of next week,” Vinchesi said.

To view power outages in Scituate, click here.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article