An 8-year-old boy is dead and his mother suffered life-threatening injuries after apparently succumbing to smoke inhalation in their Quincy home today, authorities said.
The boy and his mother were found unresponsive by emergency personnel after another family member notified authorities. Norfolk District Attorney Michael W. Morrissey said that family member discovered the two in their smoke-filled apartment, located at 19 Yardarm Lane.
The two were taken to Boston area hospitals, where the boy was later pronounced dead, Morrissey said. The DA identified the boy as Brendan Yang.
Firefighters identified the source of the smoke as a charcoal hibachi grill, which was located inside the home. Morrissey said it was not clear if the grill was being used for cooking or heating.
The exact cause of death will not be known until an examination is conducted by the state medical examiner, Morrissey said.
The incident is being investigated by the Quincy police and fire departments, State Police, and the Norfolk district attorney's office.