< Back to front page Text size +

Peabody man held without bail following stabbing on Tremont Street Sunday night

Posted by Ryan Mooney  August 7, 2012 10:08 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

A Peabody man is facing an attempted murder charge after police say he stabbed another patron twice outside of the Portuguese American War Veteran's Post No. 1 on Tremont Street in Peabody Sunday night.

Juan R. Infante, 28, of Peabody, was ordered held without bail by Judge Matthew J. Nestor in Peabody District Court on Monday. Infante also faces two charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

The 26-year-old victim was treated at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

According to a report filed by Patrolman Matthew Mason, police responded to 103 Tremont Street at 10:43 p.m. to find a large crowd of people - including the victim walking around with two stab wounds to his left torso area - in the parking lot closest to Tracey Street.

Multiple witnesses told police that a fight between Infante and the victim began inside the club - where Infante punched the victim in the mouth while holding two pool balls in the same hand, resulting in the first assault charge - but that the stabbing occurred outside after both patrons were thrown out.

The victim told police from his hospital room at Mass. General that he and Infante were leaving the club at the same time, and as they exited through the front door, Infante turned and stabbed him twice with a knife.

Infante and the victim, who are both frequent visitors to the club, had argued earlier in the night, after which Infante left and returned about an hour later. One witness told police that he had spoken to the victim earlier in the evening, and that the victim had expressed a desire to "check" someone that was talking about him.

The victim was able to identify his attacker by first name, according to the report, and told officers the attack was over his former girlfriend.

Police spoke with the woman, who stated that the victim had been talking about her to other people and word about it got back to Infante, her current boyfriend. The woman stated that she told him to "just forget about it," but that Infante was still upset, and that he and the victim had argued in the recent past.

The woman, who was not present at the time of the attack, told police that earlier in the night she had received a phone call from Infante, who sounded out of breath as he told her to "stay away from the club" before hanging up.

Witnesses were also able to identify Infante, and one told police that he had run away down Tracey Street.

Police would not comment on how or when Infante was apprehended, but court records show that he was taken into custody at 12:52 a.m. on Monday. Court officials say he had his attorney, Michael J. Splaine, with him at the time of his arraignment.

A phone call to Splaine was not immediately returned.

Infante is due in court on Friday for a detention hearing.

Ryan Mooney can be reached at

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article