< Back to front page Text size +

Norwood man charged after threatening to kill himself, police say

Posted by Sarah Favot  February 18, 2011 10:00 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

norwood oneill mug250.jpgnorwood mcguire mug250.jpg

Michael Patrick O’Neill (left) and Hanan McGuire (right). (Norwood Police Department)

A 34-year-old Norwood man was arrested this week after he threatened to kill himself and police officers and lied about holding a child hostage as police tried to pick him up on outstanding arrest warrants, according to police officials. 

Michael Patrick O’Neill was arraigned in Dedham District Court on Thursday on four outstanding warrants, and on new charges of disturbing the peace, resisting arrest, threats to commit crime, and witness intimidation in the Wednesday night incident. He pleaded not guilty and is being held after his bail was revoked, according to police spokesman Kevin Grasso. 

All of the outstanding warrants had to do with motor vehicle thefts, said Grasso. 

He said police had been doing periodic surveillance of O’Neill’s house on Allen Road and his girlfriend’s house on Sturtevant Avenue trying to serve the latest warrant for O’Neill, issued by the Dedham District Court on Wednesday. That warrant charges O'Neill with motor vehicle theft on Washington Street on Feb. 14. 

Grasso said that just before 11 p.m. Wednesday police watched O’Neill walk from his girlfriend’s apartment building to a vehicle, but O’Neill spotted the officers and retreated back into the apartment. 

While five officers surrounded the building, a woman identified by police as O’Neill’s girlfriend, Hanan McGuire, 42, came out and told police that O’Neill wasn’t inside, according to Grasso. 

Sergeant Michael Benedetti told McGuire that he had observed O’Neill enter the house. While this conversation was going on, officers were knocking on the apartment door and asking O’Neill to come to the door, Grasso said. 

O’Neill began yelling from inside the apartment that he had a gun and a juvenile hostage, said Grasso. 

The officers stepped back from the building and took cover using ballistic shields. One of the officers tried to negotiate with O’Neill, Grasso said. 

But the suspect repeated that he had a gun and would shoot any officer and himself, according to police in a press release.

“Officers forced entry into the back of the apartment, which lead up to stairs,” said Grasso. “And they located him on the third floor.”

O’Neill threatened to jump out of the third-floor window and had one leg hanging out of the window, but police officers were able to pull him back into the building, according to the press release. 

“He was being combative and was attempting to avoid arrest,” said Grasso. But officers were eventually able to take him into custody. 

O’Neill complained that he hurt his leg while he was attempting to evade arrest, so the police brought him to Caritas Norwood Hospital, where he was treated and released back to police. 

At 2:15 a.m. O’Neill was transported from the hospital to the police station. 

McGuire was arrested on charges of obstruction of justice. 

Sarah Favot can be reached at

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article