A fire that started on an electronic musical keyboard at P. Brent Trottier Middle School was quickly contained Sunday night.
According to Lt. Christian Dano of the Southborough Fire Department, firefighters were alerted by an automated alarm at 9:37 p.m. Sunday night. Dano said the fire was contained to the keyboard that had apparently been left plugged in, and started the blaze when it overheated.
"It only took a couple of minutes to put the fire, but it took a couple of hours to clear the smoke," Dano said. "With a big building like a school, it take a while to evacuate the smoke, to blow it out with fans."
No one appeared inside the building at the time of the fire, Dano said, and there were no injuries.
Classes started on schedule Monday morning, according to
Charles E. Gobron, superintendent of Northborough and Southborough schools.
"The fire happened in the chorus room," Gobron said. "It caused some damage, but hasn't shut us down."
Crews are cleaning up any residual caused by smoke or the chemicals used by firefighters to extinguish the blaze. It will take about two to three days to clean up, said Gobron. Until then, the chorus room will not be used.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 12:33 a.m. Monday morning. Marlborough units provided station coverage.