(Jeremy C. Fox for Boston.com)
On Tuesday the North End Music and Performing Arts Center will begin its Summer Concert Series on the Paul Revere Mall, known to North Enders as the Prado.
The series kicks off with a performance of opera arias, duets, and scenes performed by the cast of NEMPAC’s recent production of Georges Bizet’s “Carmen.” Later performances will include chamber music, musical theater, jazz, early American music, Italian madrigals, and a performance of scenes from Shakespeare.
The free performances will take place at the Paul Revere Mall at 7 p.m. each Tuesday in July and each Thursday in August, except Aug. 9, when no concert is scheduled, and Aug. 16, when the performance will be held at the Old North Church.
The schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, July 3: opera arias, duets, and scenes performed by the cast of “Carmen”
- Tuesday, July 10: North End Cabaret, featuring NEMPAC staff and students
- Tuesday, July 17: string chamber music by NEMPAC Resident String Trio: Alex Duval, Sam Stapleton, Emma Stapleton
- Tuesday, July 24: musical theater and the American Songbook
- Tuesday, July 31: jazz and soul with Sherri, Greg, Jeremy, Scott
- Thursday, Aug. 2: jam night with Jeremy Sarzana, Brian Berhard, Morgan Berhard
- Thursday, Aug. 16: early American music and Italian madrigals sung by Acapella Octet Choir at Old North Church
- Thursday, Aug.23: favorite jazz classics with Greg, Sherri, Scott, Jeremy
- Thursday, Aug.30: Shakespeare on the Prado
All events are free and open to the public. The series is sponsored by My Summer in the City, a Boston Foundation funding initiative, and by North End Against Drugs. For more information, visit http://www.nempacboston.org/archives/2014.
Follow the North End on Twitter: @YourNorthEnd.