School Committee hopeful Carrie Kourkoumelis still doesn’t know if she’ll participate in a debate sponsored by the local chapter of the League of Women Voters. She has until Friday to commit.
The chapter will film the debate on Oct. 21. It will air repeatedly on MMTV, the city’s cable access channel. All of the other candidates have signed on.
In a brief phone interview on Tuesday, Kourkoumelis would only say that she hasn’t decided.
“I’ll let you know when I do,” she said.
Incumbents Don Lehman and Joe Spinale and candidate Scott Conway declined to participate in that debate, citing the shrill rhetoric on the Tab and Melrose Messages, an online forum where Melrose Cares founder Patricia Wright often posts.
Koukoumelis said last week that “a certain amount of political posturing” drove the opposition to the Melrose Cares/Tab debate, which is scheduled for Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. in the Melrose Middle School audtorium. It is open to the public.
Committee chair Christine Casatelli, up for reelection, and candidate Jean-Daniel LaRock are planning to join Kourkoumelis on stage.
Voters go to the polls on Nov. 3.