< Back to front page Text size +

Hull officials wary of high tide and flooding Friday

Posted by Jessica Bartlett  March 8, 2013 09:44 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

With sustained winds out of the East and a churning sea still looking vicious, Hull officials said this morning that they aren't out of the woods with the storm.

The Nor’easter has had officials on high alert since Wednesday evening, when winds started to pick up and tides became rougher.

And while many coastal communities have breathed a sigh of relief after Friday morning’s high tide, Hull officials say they are still wary of what’s to come.

“Hopefully again the wind shifts. If the wind shifts we could be okay for the next tide,” said Town Manager Philip Lemnios in a phone interview. “We might have some splash over and street closures ... but we’re going to be vigilant all day and will keep an eye on the next tide as well, which is tonight”

Hull’s next high tide will occur at 8:39 p.m. Friday evening.

Though the town has its eyes on the tide, Lemnios said the town hasn't had to order any evacuations.

“We’ve not had to put that proticol into place, fortunately,” he said shortly after 9 a.m. “Right now we’re an hour past the high tide. Our biggest concern this point is the wind is blowing stiffly out of the east. Hopefully that will turn to the north in a few hours as the storm begins to move further offshore.”

Lemnios was out surveying the damage with Fire Chief and Director of Emergency Management Robert Hollingshead Friday morning, and said the town had so far fared well.

“This morning we got quite a bit of splash-over and some isolated road flooding in paces we normally get it,” he said.

Atlantic Avenue and Nantasket Avenue had seen coastal flooding and roads were closed, though there was no widespread street flooding, Lemnios said.

Houses in the Gunrock area of Hull were partially damaged by the wind and the sea, but all coastal public facilities were so far okay.

The coast continued to be the focus even as the town began snow-removal operations Friday morning.

“Our plowing operations are ongoing and they are doing a great job clearing the roads and clearing the roads of debris that the ocean has thrown on some coastal roadways,” Lemnios said.

Friday’s school day had been canceled the previous day in anticipation of the severe weather.

Luckily, power outages had not been an issue, and there weren’t any reports of significant tree damage, Lemnios said.

“That hasn’t caused our emergency crews to pull off of their main focus [on the coast],” Lemnios said.

For updated information, check the town’s website.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article