< Back to front page Text size +

Hingham burglary suspect identified through his phone

Posted by Jessica Bartlett  August 26, 2013 10:46 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Thomas Miele Booking.JPG

A Weymouth man was arrested on Friday after allegedly breaking into a Hingham home the day before.

According to police, a Prospect Street resident arrived home on Thursday at 1:22 p.m. in the middle of her house being burglarized.

The resident saw an unfamiliar car in her driveway, and when she went in her home she found two men carrying bags.

The men fled out the rear door and jumped 10-15 feet from a rear deck and on to the ground. The resident then went out the front door and saw the two men run to their car.

The resident attempted to grab a bag from one of the suspects as they climbed into the car, but instead could only grab a cell phone from one of the suspects.

The suspects drove away in the black car, and the resident could only remember a partial license plate.

Officers arrived on scene shortly thereafter and discovered the burglars had entered the house by cutting a screen and lifting an unlocked window. Numerous pieces of jewelry were missing and a pillowcase was stolen from the house.

Police soon discovered that on the suspect’s phone, a Facebook app showed the profile of a Weymouth man. Police also discovered that a black 2003 Saab 93 was registered to the same man, and contained the same digits provided by the resident.

The Saab was found abandoned in Weymouth the same evening.

Hingham Police obtained search warrants for both the recovered cell phone and the Saab, police said.

On Friday, detectives then obtained an arrest warrant from Hingham District Court for the Weymouth man.

Weymouth detectives located him at his apartment and placed him under arrest.

Thomas A. Miele, 38, from Weymouth was charged with breaking and entering in the daytime (felony), larceny over $250, and malicious destruction of property. He was held without bail and transported to the Norfolk County House of Correction. He will be arraigned in Hingham District Court on Monday.

Police are still investigating the second suspect’s identity.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article