< Back to front page Text size +

One accident leads to another in Hingham

Posted by Jessica Bartlett  August 30, 2011 04:33 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Eight were injured in two separate car accidents Monday, one involving an ambulance responding to the first crash.

According to police, at 6:24 p.m. Monday, a 1997 Chevrolet pickup truck was traveling east on Derby Street and was making a left turn to enter the Route 3 North on-ramp when it failed to yield the right of way to an oncoming 2004 Dodge Durango.

The front of the Dodge struck the right passenger side of the Chevrolet.

Both the driver of the Dodge, a 67-year-old man from Holbrook, and his passenger, a 64-year-old woman from Holbrook, were wearing seat belts. The front air bags did deploy, police said.

The Chevrolet driver, a 20-year-old Quincy man, and his passenger, a 25-year-old Weymouth woman, were not wearing seat belts.

Three were later transported to South Shore Hospital and one was transported to Quincy Medical Center. All four received non-life threatening injuries.

The Quincy man will be summonsed for operating without a license, failure to yield right of way, and a seat belt violation, police said.

At 6:35 p.m., an ambulance responding to the scene from the Hingham Fire Department was struck by a vehicle.

According to police, the ambulance was traveling south on Cushing Street through the intersection of Whiting Street when it was struck by a 2005 Jeep Cherokee traveling east on Whiting.

The impact forced the Jeep into a Nissan, which then hit a Chrysler. As a result of the impact, the ambulance hit a Honda that was in the right lane.

The drivers of the Nissan and Jeep were transported to South Shore Hospital.

The two Hingham paramedics were transported to Quincy Medical Center. All four had non-life-threatening injuries.

Offers from Norwell and Weymouth assisted in the second crash, and Hingham officers were still investigating the crash on Derby Street.

Three vehicles, including the ambulance, were towed from the scene.

Officers spoke to witnesses and the paramedics. According to police, although the ambulance had its emergency lights activated, it didn’t fully stop before entering intersection.

Additionally, the overhead system that activates traffic lights was not functioning at the time.

No citations are being issued for the later crash.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article