In addition to all wonderful events that surround Dorchester Day, the Dorchester Day Parade Committee will host an essay contest for sixth-, seventh-, and eighth-grade Dorchester students or students who attend a Dorchester school.
The first-place winner will win a $300 gift card, and the second place entry will receive a $200 gift card.
All entries, which will be vetted by a panel of local judges, must be postmarked by May 20 to be considered.
More information and a registration forum can be found here.
The rules are as follows:
1) The student must be a Dorchester resident or attend a Dorchester school.
2) In honor of the 50th continuous year of the Dorchester Day Parade, your essay must be written about an invention that was created within the last 50 years. You can pick anything created between 1963-2013. Describe the invention, the reason why it is important, and why you chose this particular one.
3) The essay must be between 500-600 words.
4) Only one essay accepted per student.
5) The essay can be typed and double spaced.
6) The essay and entry form must be postmarked by May 20, 2013.
7) No e-mailed submissions will be accepted. They must be mailed.