The Salvation Army Kroc Center in Uphams Corner is rolling out new offerings for 2012.
From youth soccer to adult basic swimming lessons, the center is providing residents with plenty of excuses to get out of the house this winter.
If sports aren’t your thing, the center also has a full list of art and enrichment courses from sound production and engineering to fashion design.
Below is a list of some of the highlights. Visit the center’s website for more information or to register.
• Youth Indoor Soccer League: Now kids can play soccer all year long. Two divisions are available: ages 8 & Under (Sat, 9-10:30 a.m.) and 12 & Under (Sat, 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.). Members $35; Non-members $50. Ends March 10.
• Adult Volleyball Open Gym: Bump, dive, spike! Let our gym sub for the beach this winter. Tues, 6-9 p.m. Members FREE. Ends March 13.
• Adult Basic Swim Lessons: Get comfortable in the water in this class designed for the true adult beginner (16 and up). Emphasizes floating, treading, positioning and water safety. Tues, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Members $60; Non-members $90. Ends Feb. 28.
• Aquatic Play Posse: Parents can get a good workout, while their kids (ages 7 to 11) enjoy supervised activities and fun aquatic games in the pool. Sign-in at the pool for a limited number of passes each session. Wed, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Fri, 4-6 p.m. and 6:30-8:30 p.m. Members FREE. Ongoing.
• Capoeira: Is this acrobatic Brazilian art form fitness or dance? We say both. Created by descendants of African slaves, it’s based on quick and complex moves like power kicks and quick leg sweeps. This class (for ages 16 and up) is designed to improve self-esteem, focus and your mind-body-spirit connection. Tues, 6:30-7:45 p.m. Members $50; Non-member: $70. Payment can be made for all classes at once, or at the single drop-in rate of $9 for members, $15 for non-members. Ends March 17.
• The Piano Lab: Students ages 7-17 will learn about keyboards, basic technique and hand positions, as well as how to read music in a variety of genres. Please contact the Arts Department before registering. Ages 7-11: Mon, 5-6 p.m. Ages 12-17: Sat, 12-1 p.m. Members $50; Non-members $70. Ends March 17.
• Sound Production & Engineering: Want to make it in the music biz? This class will teach students how to make records, program beats and create original sounds, effects and sampling. Ages 12-15: Mon, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Ages 16 and up: Thu, 7-8:30 p.m. Members $50; Non-members $70.
• Spotlight YOU! This amazing theater class for ages 7-11, offered in conjunction with the renowned Huntington Theatre, will focus on creativity, imagination and improvisation. Sat, 1:15-2:30 p.m. Members $60; Non-members $80. Ends March 17.
• Fashion Design: Up-and-coming fashion designers (16 and older) will learn rendering and how to draw poses, faces, textures and accessories. Tues, 7-8:30 p.m. Members $60; Non-members $80. Ends March 17.