< Back to front page Text size +

Minor hospitalized in overserving incident at Dedham Tahiti Restaurant

Posted by Dave Eisenstadter  March 29, 2013 04:02 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

The minor who was over-served at the Tahiti Restaurant, leading the restaurant to get a six-day alcohol license suspension, both vomited and urinated on himself and was unable to speak, according to a recently released police report by Sgt. Michael Buckley.

The 20-year-old Westwood resident was served five to seven drinks within a one-hour span on Saturday, Dec. 15, according to his friend who was with him, Buckley wrote.

At a hearing Thursday, selectmen suspended Tahiti’s alcohol license from April 13 to 16, with two additional days held in abeyance on good behavior for two years. But the minor will not be charged, Buckley said in an interview Friday.

Police only found out about the incident on Wednesday, Dec. 19, four days after it took place, and did not witness the resident being in possession of alcohol. So they could not arrest him, Buckley said.

“He did go into the hospital with a .36 (blood alcohol level),” Buckley said Friday. “That is probably punishment enough.”

The resident’s father called Dedham’s town administrator, William Keegan, that Wednesday, who passed the information on to Dedham Chief Michael d’Entremont.

Buckley spoke with the father, and then interviewed the resident's friend who had been with him on Dec. 26, according to the police report.

The friend told Buckley the two of them drove to Tahiti’s at about 10 p.m., went to the back restaurant area, and approached a waiter, Buckley wrote. The waiter seated them and served the 20-year-old a few Mai Tai drinks, at least one Scorpion Bowl for one, and a Suffering Bastard, according to the report.

She said he vomited on himself in the booth and when it was time to sign the receipt for the bill, he could not do it, and she had to do it for him, Buckley wrote. The waiter and friend got the intoxicated man into the car and the friend, who had not been drinking, drove him home to Westwood after 40 minutes of trying to sober him up in the car, according to the report.

She sat with him in the car in his driveway for an additional two hours, and that was where he urinated on himself, Buckley wrote. The 20-year-old was unable to speak at that time, and his friend woke up the resident's parents for assistance, she told Buckley. Westwood EMS was called and the resident was transported to the hospital.

Harry Mah, owner of Tahiti, told selectmen at Thursday’s hearing that waiter had been fired. Tahiti will also institute a two-drink maximum over a two-hour period, and will card anyone who appears younger than 25, he said.

The staff has also received additional training on asking for identification before serving patrons alcohol, according to the owners.

Dedham has conducted two underage drinking sting operations in the past two years in which police used underage operatives to see if local establishments would serve them alcohol. Tahiti was not among the restaurants that failed either time.

Responding to selectman Sarah MacDonald’s question about how the patron could have become so intoxicated, Tahiti attorney Peter Zahka said there were no visible signs of intoxication until the end of service.

He added that the Tahiti owners did not dispute the police report.

Selectmen chairman Carmen Dello Iacono said he appreciated that the restaurant was working with Buckley to improve alcohol safety.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article