Some night work is scheduled for this week on the Dedham Square Improvement Project. Here's a quick look at that work and additional plans for the week.
The contractor plans on working at night on Tuesday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. The following work is planned:
1. The reconstruction of the sidewalk on the northerly side of High Street from Eastern Avenue (Ron’s Ice Cream) to Washington Street (Wardle’s Pharmacy) will begin. Work will consist of the removal of existing curbing and concrete sidewalks and the installation of underground utilities. The installation of new granite curbing and the pouring of the new concrete sidewalk will occur at a later date. The sidewalk will be temporarily closed for up to three weeks and the seven on-street parking spaces will be unavailable only when work in this area takes place. Temporary access ways through the construction area will be provided for all businesses and residential buildings while construction is ongoing.
2. The reconstruction of the sidewalk on the northerly side of High Street from Washington Street (Regina’s Bakery) to Court Street (Registry of Deeds) will begin. Work will consist of the removal of existing curbing and concrete sidewalks, installation of underground utilities, installation of new granite curbing and the grading and forming for the pouring of the new concrete sidewalk. The brick banding will be installed in the sidewalk at a later date. The sidewalk will be temporarily closed for up to three weeks and the eight on-street parking spaces will be unavailable only when work in this area takes place. Temporary access ways through the construction area will be provided for all businesses and residential buildings while construction is ongoing.
3. The installation of bricks for the brick banding located within the sidewalks will continue this week. On- street parking will be temporarily closed during work hours in the areas the contractor is conducting work and reopened again at the end of the work day.
4. The reconstruction of the Keystone Parking Lot retaining wall is scheduled to continue this week. Work will consist of the construction of the new concrete retaining wall, facing the concrete retaining wall with stone veneers cut from the existing retaining wall blocks and backfilling the retaining wall on the parking lot side to construct the remainder of the Keystone Parking Lot. Approximately 250 feet of sidewalk adjacent to the retaining wall from Eastern Avenue to the Route 1 bridge overpass will be closed for approximately four to five weeks. The existing five parking spaces near the easterly half of the retaining wall currently under construction will be unavailable for approximately three to four weeks during the construction of the concrete retaining wall. The contractor anticipates on backfilling the westerly portion of the retaining wall that has been constructed to date this week. Once backfilled, the contractor should be able to move the Jersey Barriers back to the edge of the existing pavement which would provide room for some on- street parking for this area of High Street.
5. The contractor may be performing miscellaneous concrete work associated with the brick banding and tree frames for the sidewalks that have been poured to date. This work will take place on the street side half of the poured sidewalks where the proposed brick banding and tree frames are to be installed. The back half of the poured sidewalks should remain open for pedestrians. The on-street parking will be temporarily closed while work is taking place and reopened at the conclusion of the work day.
6. The contractor will begin planting the landscape along the rear of the Keystone Parking Lot. The back row of parking in the rear of the lot will be coned off and unavailable for up to three weeks while work takes place in this area. All vehicles must be removed from this area by 6 a.m. Tuesday morning. Any vehicles not moved will be towed at the owner’s expense.
7. Various utility companies will be working within the area of High Street near the retaining wall where the new utility poles have been installed over the next several months to switch their overhead utilities from the existing poles to the new poles. Once all the overhead utilities are switched over, the old poles will be removed.
Except where noted above, the working hours for this week will be 7 to 5 p.m.