< Back to front page Text size +

Dedham pair have August court date in Walpole attack

Posted by Michele Morgan Bolton  June 14, 2010 11:23 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Two Dedham teenagers have pleaded not guilty to charges they were part of a mob that allegedly attacked a Walpole resident and his friend with a baseball bat on June 5 in an apparent robbery attempt.

Kyle F. Carroll, 19, of Thomas Street, and Kieran Boyle, 18, of Clark Street, were arraigned in Wrentham District Court on Monday and released on $1,000 cash bail each, according to the Norfolk District Attorney's office.

"We requested $25,000 cash bail but the judge kept it at $1,000 and issued a stay away, no contact order with the victims,'' said spokesman David Traub.

A defense attorney was appointed for Carroll and Boyle, who return to court on Aug. 10 for a probable cause hearing, Traub said.

Dedham police arrested the duo at their parents homes early Sunday on a warrant from Walpole police.

They are charged with attempted murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, attempt to commit a crime, and conspiracy.

Among the allegations are that Carroll and Boyle were among five or six men who ambushed the 33-year-old East Street resident and another person as they returned from a walk to the store just after midnight on June 5.

The identities of the victims cannot be released at this time, said Walpole police Detective Sergeant John Carmichael, as interviews are ongoing to identify the other suspects.

Carmichael said a third Dedham youth is also being questioned after being identified in a photo array but that person has not been arrested or charged. Carmichael said he did not believe that either Carroll or Boyle were the ones wielding the bat.

"We're also still working on an ID for the other two,'' Carmichael said.

According to the allegations, five or six youths came out from around the side of the Rockwood Building, where one of the victims lives, and demanded that he hand over the key to his home. When he refused, the person holding the key was allegedly "sucker punched" and then kicked repeatedly once he was down.

Both men wer also attacked with the bat, causing 12 stitches to the head for one victim and bruises from head to toe on both, Carmichael said.

"You could see the indentation of the bat on them,'' Carmichael said, adding that the assaults were not random.

He said the resident of the apartment owned a lot of expensive items.

Both victims were taken to Norwood Hospital the night of the attack with serious injuries and later released, he said. THey are now recovering from the attack, he said.

Michele Morgan Bolton can be reached at

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article