The cochairman of Belmont’s Historic District Commission told selectmen this week that he will be withdrawing an article on the warrant for the upcoming Special Town Meeting that would create a demolition delay bylaw.
Michael Smith said that the commission voted on Dec. 15 to withdraw the bylaw, which would give the panel the authority to request that the Inspector of Buildings delay issuing demolition permits to people seeking to tear down buildings the commission deems to be historically significant.
The article will be formally withdrawn at the Special Town Meeting on Jan. 18, Smith said.
“We’ll reintroduce it at the spring town meeting,” he said.
The bylaw was written in response to last year’s sale of the historic Thomas Clark house to developer Mark Barons, who is planning to build two homes on the lot at 59 Common Street where the house currently sits.
Barons has agreed to wait to raze the house while Smith works with local architect Erik Rhodin to come up with a plan to move it to a new location.
Smith said he was withdrawing the bylaw after Barons warned he would raze the Clark House if the bylaw went before the town meeting.
Barons confirmed that this was true, but declined to explain why he did not want the bylaw to come before town meeting.
Evan Allen can be reached at email@example.com.