The Historic District Commission has rescheduled its upcoming meeting to brainstorm ideas to save the Thomas Clark House, a historic home built circa 1760 that is being sold to a developer who plans to tear it down.
The meeting was originally going to be held on Tuesday, August 9, but has been moved to Thursday, August 11, at 7 p.m. in Room 1 of Belmont’s Town Hall.
The Clark House is one of Belmont’s best-preserved examples of 18th-century Georgian architecture, and was the longtime home of a prominent Belmont family, the Clarks, one of whom was Belmont’s first official voter when the town was incorporated in 1859. It was sold to a doctor named Peter Sifneos in 1954, and is currently owned by Sifneos’s two daughters, Jean Sifneos and Ann Callahan.
The house sits on two buildable lots on Common Street. Mark Barons, the builder buying the house, plans to raze it and build two residential homes on the property. The sale has not closed, though a Purchase and Sales agreement has been signed for $1,050,000. Barons says that he is in the process of applying for demolition permits.
The Historic District Commission has been trying to save the house, which falls just outside Belmont’s Historic District. Historic District Commission cochairman Michael Smith says that the town has no legal jurisdiction over the demolition of the house, but that he hopes the meeting brings together concerned citizens to discuss ideas about how to keep the house from being demolished.
One possible solution would be to pick the house up and move it to another location, but Smith says that so far, the Historic District Commission has been unable to find an available lot.
Evan Allen can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.