< Back to front page Text size +

150 reports of fallen trees and limbs in Arlington, power outages remain

Posted by Brock Parker  October 30, 2012 10:14 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article


Crews blocked off Gray Street in Arlington Tuesday to repair several fallen utility poles brought down by falling trees during Hurricane Sandy Monday night. Photo by Brock Parker.

The power went out in Jack and Sossy Nercessian’s Arlington home around 2 p.m. Monday, but it wasn’t until after dark Hurricane Sandy began knocking down trees and power lines like dominos in their neighborhood.

Sometime after 8 p.m. a string of trees began falling along Gray Street, pulling down down power lines and utility poles with them from Lockeland Avenue down to Highland Avenue.

“Sandy was something,” said Sossy Nercessian, who is 63 years old, as she surveyed the damage in front of her home Tuesday morning.

The damage was some of the worst in Arlington where officials said 150 reports of fallen trees and limbs have been reported from Hurricane Sandy’s strong winds.

By comparison, Town Manager Adam Chapdelaine said Tuesday that a microburst of heavy winds that caused major damage in East Arlington in July caused about 90 reports of fallen trees and limbs.


A tree fell into the front porch of a home at Massachusetts Avenue and Varnum Street during the storm. Photo by Brock Parker.

But the damage caused by Sandy has been spread out over the entire town instead of concentrated in a one-mile area during the summer storm.

“Really it’s the whole town this time,” Chapdelaine said.

Chapdelaine said the most recent report from NStar estimated that 1,200 customers were still without power in the the town. At the height of the storm Monday, Chapdelaine said the utility reported as many as 5,000 customers in the town were without power.

Jack and Sossy Nercessian said they called NStar when their power went out around 2 p.m. Tuesday, and the company called them back a short time later to report power would be restored around 8:30 p.m. Then strong winds began knocking down the trees and utility poles in the neighborhood.

Crews responded almost immediately to begin untangling the mess of fallen trees and power lines, said Jack Nercessian, who is 76.

“These guys, God bless them,” he said.

Crews were still working to replace the snapped utility poles on the street Tuesday morning. Chapdelaine said he suspects a large percentage of the homes still without power in the town are as a result of the damage caused along Gray Street.

While school has been canceled today, Chapdelaine said he believes the town will be able to clear enough roads for classes to resume tomorrow.

He said he had not heard of any injuries or major structural damage being reported, though some trees had toppled against homes.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article