(Photo courtesy City of Boston)
Getting to City Hall might be easier from some Boston residents this summer as the city launches its City Hall on wheels full time.
Starting July 2, the “City Hall to Go” truck will regularly visit neighborhoods on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays to provide certain services to residents, and be stationed by request on Fridays and Saturdays at special events, block parties, and street festivals.
The truck will allow residents to pay or dispute parking tickets, request birth, death or marriage certificates, get a dog license, request a residential parking permit, or pay property and excise taxes without travelling to Government Center.
Residents will also be able to sign up for Renew Boston’s home energy audits and weatherization, request raffle applications, and submit claims to the City Clerk.
The city first held a soft launch of the trunk in December.
“The ‘City Hall to Go’ truck makes personal, timely service from the City of Boston possible for a whole new set of constituents,” Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino said in a statement. “We are constantly trying to push what appear to be the limits of municipal services. The success of the truck’s earliest visits shows that benefits of City Hall can exist far beyond its walls.”
The repurposed Boston Police Department SWAT vehicle will be open until 7 p.m. on weeknights and 5 p.m. on Saturdays.
The truck will also use social media to determine part of its schedule. On the fourth Tuesday of every month residents can tweet @CityHallToGo to tell the city where they want the truck to go that day. The truck will open at the most requested location at 12:30 p.m.
The city provided the following schedule for its mobile City Hall. It is subject to change and residents can follow @CityHalltoGo on Twitter or call 617-635-4500 for updates.
• First Tuesday of the Month: 12:30PM in Allston, 4:00PM in Brighton
• First Wednesday of the Month: 12:30PM in South End, 4:00PM in SB Waterfront
• First Thursday of the Month: 12:30PM in Mission Hill, 4:00PM in Jamaica Plain
• Second Tuesday of the Month: 12:30PM in Mid-Dorchester, 4:00PM in Roxbury
• Second Wednesday of the Month: 12:30PM in Fenway, 4:00PM in Mattapan
• Second Thursday of the Month: 12:30PM in Egleston Square, 4:00PM in West Roxbury
• Third Tuesday of the Month: 12:30PM in Back Bay, 4:00PM in South Boston
• Third Wednesday of the Month: 12:30PM in Chinatown, 4:00PM in Charlestown
• Third Thursday of the Month: 12:30PM in Bay Village, 4:00PM in Hyde Park
• Fourth Tuesday of the Month: 12:30PM Twitter Day—You Pick Site, 4:00PM in Roslindale
• Fourth Wednesday of the Month: 12:30PM in Beacon Hill, 4:00PM in Dorchester
• Fourth Thursday of the Month: 12:30PM in North End, 4:00PM in East Boston
Thursday, July 4, locations are rescheduled for the same times on Friday, July 5.
E-mail Kaiser at Johanna.firstname.lastname@example.org. For more news about your city, town, neighborhood, or campus, visit boston.com’s Your Town homepage.