< Back to front page Text size +

Quincy Jade faces 15-day suspension, reduced hours for alleged liquor violations

Posted by Jessica Bartlett  December 18, 2013 04:33 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

The Quincy Jade restaurant is facing a 15-day suspension and scaled-back hours, after police officers allegedly found several liquor violations during a surprise check.

Quincy Board of License Commissioners handed down the penalty at a hearing on Tuesday.

According to City Clerk and Licensing Board Chairman Joseph Shea, the restaurant has 10 days to appeal the suspension. Otherwise, it will be closed for two weeks starting Dec. 30. Once it reopens, the restaurant closing time will be moved to 11 p.m. from 2 a.m.

“That really shook him. But the board was adamant,” Shea said of owner Mihn Phuoc Giang.

The violation is the fifth in the last three years for the restaurant, which has received more violations than any other Quincy bar in the last 15 years, Shea said.

According to a notification letter sent to Giang on Dec. 4, the most recent violation occurred on Nov. 28, when licensing officer Lieutenant Peter Turowski went to the Cottage Avenue restaurant at 1:50 a.m.

Not only did Turowski allegedly find people being served after the 1 a.m. last call, but underage patrons were drinking, and liquor was being consumed though the restaurant that has a license for only beer and wine.

“[The owner] says things like, 'I’m busy, I can’t handle it.' But you’re responsible for what’s going on,” Shea said, noting that Giang is the owner, operator, and chef for the restaurant.

Giang’s attorney did not immediately return calls for comment.

In 2010, Quincy Jade was issued a verbal warning for serving alcohol to minors. In 2011, the bar was given a written warning for the same infraction, Shea said.

The Globe previously reported that by 2012, the restaurant was back before the licensing board, this time for serving alcohol after hours. The board levied a one-day suspension on the facility.

The Globe reported in July 2013 that violations were again found at the restaurant. In addition to the late-night drinking after allowable hours, patrons were also drinking outside.

Giang, through a translator, initially denied this had occurred, he eventually admitted to the offenses during an August hearing. Both the food and liquor license were revoked for five days in mid-September.

Shea said the most recent penalty was “punitive,” and that something needed to be done.

“The lawyer said [Giang] understands it’s his duty but sometimes he gets overwhelmed. And that’s what happened here. But this has been going on for four years,” Shea said. “If you were two [years old] and had $2, he’d serve you.”

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article