Duxbury 42, N. Bedford 19

O’Keefe, Duxbury oust New Bedford

By Ryan Mooney
Globe Correspondent / September 25, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

DUXBURY - Duxbury quarterback Matt O’Keefe threw for three touchdowns and rushed for two more scores to lead the second-ranked Green Dragons past No. 15 New Bedford, 42-19, yesterday.

O’Keefe, who finished 14 for 20 for 218 yards, handed off a comfortable 42-13 lead to his backup after three quarters.

“The way Matt executed was just phenomenal,’’ said Duxbury coach Dave Maimaron. “We make it difficult on defenses. They were playing straight man on us and our guys are good and Matt was on today.’’

After an explosive start to the season (81 points in their first two wins), the Whalers (2-1) ran into trouble in the first true test.

“Obviously it didn’t go our way today,’’ said New Bedford coach Dennis Golden. “Our kids are not going to back down, they’re not going to give in, and we know that about them. So we have to just clean it up execution-wise, a lot, but we will do that.’’

Duxbury (3-0) took seven plays and less than five minutes to build a 14-0 lead. O’Keefe connected with James Burke on a 31-yard pass for their first touchdown. After forcing a three-and-out, the Green Dragons took over at the New Bedford 35, and shortly after O’Keefe hit Joe Guilfoile for a 22-yard score.

The Whalers answered with a 68-yard drive orchestrated by quarterback Myles Medeiros and running back Marcel DePina, culminating in a 7-yard touchdown run by Medeiros.

Depina had 60 yards on eight carries to go with a 65-yard kickoff return and an interception.

After two O’Keefe touchdowns in the second quarter - a 37-yard run on play-action, and a 1-yard run on fourth-and-goal - the Whalers found themselves down, 28-7, heading into halftime.

“We’ve got to make sure that we play our responsibilities on defense,’’ Golden said. “We had some turnovers and penalties that hurt us in the first half, when we were in scoring position a couple of times.’’

New Bedford tried to catch Duxbury off guard with an onside kick to start the second half, but it ended up giving the Green Dragons the ball near midfield. O’Keefe connected with Andrew Buron (five catches, 69 yards) three times, twice for first downs. Khai Perry punched the ball in from 3 yards to extend the lead to 35-7.

Jaraud Wood took a short pass from Medeiros 49 yards up the sideline for a touchdown for the Whalers. But O’Keefe responded with an 11-play, 77-yard drive for Perry’s second touchdown, on an 8-yard swing pass from O’Keefe.

Medeiros limped off the field after scoring the final touchdown with 3:29 remaining and did not return for the last series.

“He’ll be fine,’’ Golden said. “He’s a little banged up, but he’ll be fine.

“I know we’re going to practice harder next week and we’re going to be OK. “We’ve got to go back and just prepare, . . . and just be a team.’’

    waiting for twitterWaiting for Twitter to feed in the latest...