Sink your teeth into this islands quiz
How much do you know about the islands? Test your knowledge of Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard:
1. The founder of a famous department store chain was born on one of the islands. What was his name?
2. Where is the nation’s oldest operating platform carousel ?
3. Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket considered seceding from the Commonwealth in what year?
4. The country’s first female astronomer was born on Nantucket. Who was she?
5. Where was the 1975 movie “Jaws’’ filmed?
6. Both Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket were not originally part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony . Which colony were they part of?
7. How many traffic lights are there on Nantucket?
8. One of the largest deaf communities in the nation was centered around Chilmark on Martha’s Vineyard, and a precursor of American Sign Language was developed on the island. What was it called?
9. A fallout shelter was reportedly built on Nantucket for which president?
10. Where did President Obama and his family stay last summer on their Vineyard vacation?
ANSWERS: 1. Rowland Hussey Macy was born Aug. 30, 1822, on Nantucket.
2. The Flying Horses Carousel in Oak Bluffs was built by Charles W.F. Dare in 1876 and brought to Martha’s Vineyard in 1884.
3. 1977. The controversy was sparked by a redistricting plan that would have threatened the islands’ representation in the state House of Representatives.
4. Maria Mitchell. The Historic Mitchell House is at 1 Vestal St.
5. Martha’s Vineyard
6. New York
8. Martha’s Vineyard Sign Language
9. President Kennedy, according to the book, “From Mount Vernon to Crawford’’ by journalist Kenneth T. Walsh.
10. The Obamas vacationed at Blue Heron Farm in Chilmark.