Lighthouses of New England
Photo courtesy of the US Coast Guard
Juniper Island, a 13-acre spot in Lake Champlain, was home to the first lighthouse in the area. Prior to 1826, navigation took place via lanterns hung on trees by landowners. The original lighthouse had to be replaced less than two decades after its construction. The keeper's house was destroyed by fire in 1962, however the current owners have recently rebuilt it.