Lighthouses of New England
Guarding the entrance to Portsmouth Harbor since 1831, the Whaleback Ledge Light marks the hazardous Whaleback Reef. The first lighthouse, built here in 1820, was destroyed by storms. In 1829, President Andrew Jackson authorized a new tower resulting in the current 48-foot high stone light. In 2007, the Coast Guard opened the lighthouse for tours to nonprofit organizations interested in acquiring it. It is otherwise closed to the public.