Lighthouses of New England
Globe Staff Photo / Tom Herde
Located on the southern end of Mt. Desert Island, this 1858 lighthouse, which sits atop a rugged cliff, marks the entrance to Bass Harbor. Today, the house serves as a residence for Coast Guard members and their families and the grounds are private. The lighthouse is viewable, however, at the end of Lighthouse Road in Bass Harbor or by cruise boat or plane.