Lighthouses of New England
Photo courtesy of the US Coast Guard
Deer Island Thorofare Light, on Penobscot Bay, was built in 1857. It marks the west end of Deer Island Thorofare, which runs from Penobscot Bay to Jericho Bay. An explosion destroyed the keeper's house in 1958. The lighthouse is maintained by Island Heritage Trust, and is not open to the public.