Lighthouses of New England
Photo courtesy Michael Melford Photography
Once the beacon for ships approaching Stonington Harbor from Long Island Sound, the Stonington Harbor Light aided industries including whaling and shipbuilding. Built in 1823, the light only remained active until 1889, when a beacon was installed on the outer end of a new breakwater in the harbor. Today it is home to a museum, which is open May-October from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily.