Lighthouses of New England
Photo courtesy Michael Melford Photography
Located at the southern end of the Norwalk Islands, Sheffield Island, at the time known as "White Island," was purchased by Captain Robert Sheffield in 1804 for $6,000. The lighthouse was built in 1828, and Sheffield served as the first keeper. A tour of the lighthouse is available through the Norwalk Seaport Association.