Lighthouses of New England
Photo courtesy Kindra Clineff Photography
After a six-year, $500,000 renovation, Avery Point Light was re-lit in 2006, thanks to the efforts of the Avery Point Lighthouse Society. Originally built in 1943 on the Avery Point Campus of the University of Connecticut, it was the last lighthouse to be built in the state. It was built as a memorial to light keepers, but was not lit immediately due to concerns about possible enemy invasions by sea during World War II. It finally began its service in 1944.