When wanderlust calls, where does one go? If you're looking for the most unique, luxurious, and top-of-line lodging, Travel + Leisure has some options for you.
The magazine's World's Best Awards, which were just announced and are part of the August 2012 issue, are a collection of the properties that go above and beyond in categories including rooms, location, service, food, and value.
While the properties change year after year, one thing remains the same: the results are always sure to entice you to travel. Lest you think you have to travel far to reap the benefits of the world's best hotels think again: almost 20 percent of this year's winners are located in the U.S.
The decadent digs that continue to make the top 10 are the exotic safari lodges, which year over year continue to sway travelers to experience the extraordinary. However, this year also shows the entrance of more city hotels - still in exotic locations, and nonetheless unforgettable.
I've listed the top 20 below to whet your wanderlusting whistle. For all the World's Best Hotel winners, read on. Then, pack up and book your trip to experience them yourself:
- Singita Grumeti Reserves, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
- Triple Creek Ranch, Darby, Montana
- Southern Ocean Lodge, Kangaroo Island, Australia
- Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur, India
- Discovery Shores, Boracay, Phillippines
- Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens, La Fortuna-Arenal, Costa Rica
- Singita Kruger National Park, South Africa
- Palacio Duhau, Park Hyatt, Buenos Aires
- Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge, Tanzania
- Singita Sabi Sand, Kruger National Park Area, South Africa
- The Peninsula, Bangkok, Thailand
- Wentworth Mansion, Charleston, South Carolina
- Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve Lodges, Kruger National Park Area, South Africa
- One&Only, Cape Town
- Kirawira Luxury Tented Camp, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
- The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs, North Island, New Zealand
- Mombo Camp and Little Mombo Camp, Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, Thailand
- Tu Tu'tun Lodge, Gold Beach, Oregon
- Fairmont Mara Safari Club, Masai Mara, Kenya
Read the full list of the World's Best Hotels from Travel + Leisure.
Readers: What's your dream hotel?
The author is solely responsible for the content.