Midwest storm causing cancellations at Logan
At least five flights scheduled to depart Logan Airport en route to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport have been called off this morning as the Midwest deals with severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings.
All departures were halted this morning at O'Hare, the country's second-busiest airport. According to the Associated Press, more than 125 flights were cancelled. However, there were no cancellations at Chicago's Midway Airport, and today's 12:05 Logan-to-Midway Southwest Airlines flight remains on-time.
According to the Chicago Tribune:
The Federal Aviation Administration initially issued a ground stop at other airports for flights headed to Chicago. Then around 7:30 a.m., a ground stop was called for O'Hare for an hour. Airlines cancelled more than 125 flights.
Aviation officials are warning of delays and cancellations throughout the day as the Chicago area is buffeted by high winds.
Visit Massport's web site for the latest statuses on O'Hare-bound flights.
- Anne Fitzgerald, Globe Travel Editor
- Paul Makishima, Globe Assistant Sunday Editor
- Eric Wilbur, Boston.com staff
- Kari Bodnarchuk writes about outdoor adventures, offbeat places, and New England.
- Patricia Borns, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs travel, maritime, and historical narratives as well as blogs and books.
- Patricia Harris, a regular contributor to Globe Travel, is author or co-author of more than 20 books on travel, food, and popular culture.
- Paul E. Kandarian, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs New England and Caribbean stories.
- Chris Klein is a regular contributor to Globe Travel. His latest book is "The Die-Hard Sports Fan's Guide to Boston."
- David Lyon, a regular contributor to Globe Travel, is author or co-author of more than 20 books on travel, food, and popular culture.
- Hilary Nangle, author of Moon Maine, Moon Coastal Maine, and Moon Acadia National Park, writes about soft adventure, skiing, cultural travel, and food.
- Joe Ray, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs food and travel stories from Europe.
- Necee Regis is a regular contributor to Globe Travel.