Give Me a Try | The Wombats Listen Live

JetBlue offers $599 all-you-can-fly deal

Posted by Paul Makishima, Globe Assistant Sunday Editor  August 12, 2009 06:56 PM

This is one of the most unusual promotions I've ever seen. Basically, this is the way it works: If you buy a JetBlue all-you-can-jet pass for $599 between now and Aug. 21 you can fly anywhere the airline goes virtually as often as you'd like from Sept. 8 to Oct. 8. And there are no blackout dates.

There are, however, restrictions: Flights must be booked no later than 1:59 a.m. EDT three days before the flight's scheduled departure. Tickets are nonrefundable and nontransferable. And taxes and fees for international and Puerto Rican flights are not included. The rest of the fine print is here, but given the breadth of this sale it still looks like a pretty good deal.

If you are interested, you should jump on this, as the airline points out that the passes will be available till Aug. 21 "or while supplies last,'' which suggests that it if there is heavy demand JetBlue could halt the promotion early.

1. Too bad air travel is so carbon-intensive and uncomfortable. I wish Amtrak would offer an all-you-can-ride deal! :-)

Posted by ZYX August 12, 09 09:45 PM
  1. Give me a break ZYX. Seriously.

Posted by ABC August 12, 09 09:55 PM
  1. When did "till" replace "until" in the English language?

Posted by APD August 12, 09 10:15 PM
  1. Just got back from roundtrip on Jet Blue, BOS to MCO (orlando). Great ride, free Satellite TV and Satellite Radio at my seat, extra leg room, good service, 1st bag free... better than SWA at about same price.

Posted by steve schonberg August 12, 09 10:36 PM
  1. who wants to fly so much anyways?

Posted by jason August 12, 09 10:54 PM
  1. 'Till' is a really old word (e.g., "till death do us part"). Who are these grammar police, and why don't they have a dictionary?

Posted by Dan August 13, 09 12:19 AM
  1. APD - I couldn't agree with you more! That "till" drives me nuts!

Posted by Nancy August 13, 09 01:16 AM
  1. Mission of Burma toured on an all-you-can-fly deal like this in the 80's.

Posted by Mike F. August 13, 09 01:58 AM
  1. ZYX, seriously? obviously you read the globe...tree hugging hippy...carbon-intensi e????? nerd

Posted by kittyfriel August 13, 09 02:14 AM
  1. 'till' and 'until' are synonyms... 'till' is actually the older word although 'until' is preferred as the first word of a sentence.

Posted by APD does NOT know english August 13, 09 02:16 AM
  1. It's like a terrorist pub crawl.

Posted by Rich August 13, 09 02:38 AM
  1. I am glad their is still people that know they're spelling and grammar.

It is insufferable that journalists are paid to commit such blasphemy.

Posted by @APD August 13, 09 03:30 AM
  1. Man I love LOVE love SWA too...must be good Steve!!

Posted by MyMichelet August 13, 09 03:34 AM
  1. I live walking distance from the airport. I have relatives I haven't seen in a while. I so want to do this! I wish JetBlue had offered this when I was job-hunting!

Posted by Liz August 13, 09 04:22 AM
  1. Time to Travel people. It's now or ever. I'm our!!!

Posted by Adrian August 13, 09 08:10 AM
  1. XYZ....... Amtrak does have an all you can ride deal. Check it out. http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/selectpass
    Wish fulfilled.

Posted by Casey August 13, 09 08:45 AM
  1. Jet Blue s*#*s! They have one of the highest cancellation rates in the industry.

Posted by Biffstah August 13, 09 10:46 AM
  1. Amtrak DOES offer an all-you-can-ride deal. Always have.

Posted by SJB August 13, 09 10:55 AM
  1. Very interesting!

Posted by Jeff August 13, 09 10:59 AM
  1. @APD, I believe the word you're looking for is their and not they're. I'm just saying...

Posted by Ace August 13, 09 11:00 AM
  1. Finally I can spend an entire month on airplanes and not break the bank! Boise, Idaho, here I come!

Posted by StinkySteve August 13, 09 11:21 AM
  1. OK, so imagine if they said "$150 Round Trip specials, but you HAVE to buy flights once a week for a month during the slowest travel time of the year".

Wouldn't be so great, right? Same deal. Nice marketing!

Posted by Jim August 13, 09 11:32 AM

Posted by kittyfriel August 13, 09 11:33 AM
  1. I heard about this yesterday and considered doing it. I have not taken a vacation day all year and got a ton of time to burn. I was going to take off 4 consecutive Fridays and zip off to a different place each weekend. But then I did the math...

If you do NOT take 4 trips it is hardly worthwhile. If you take 4 trips during that promotion, it costs you $150 per trip...pretty good deal. It looks like I have a prior commitment during one of the weekends of that promotion, so I'd only be able to go 3 times. If you only take 3 trips, you are paying $200 per trip....still not bad, but you'd only pay slightly more for a RT flight, and you wouldn't have to be handcuffed to those promotion dates.

Jet Blue should offer the same deal for a 60 day period instead of 30....it would be much more appealing.

Posted by CHOMP! August 13, 09 11:35 AM
  1. @APD - your hilarious! how about "their" spelling and grammar, not "they're"... that's rich.

Posted by boogersnot August 13, 09 11:37 AM
  1. Seriously, take off a month from work...and just GO! My band should do this to tour...

Posted by Mark D. August 13, 09 11:43 AM
  1. "carbon intensive" Go eat a sunset.

Posted by Not Al Gore August 13, 09 11:49 AM
  1. From dictionary.com:
    Till and until are both old in the language and are interchangeable as both prepositions and conjunctions: It rained till (or until) nearly midnight. The savannah remained brown and lifeless until (or till) the rains began. Till is not a shortened form of until and is not spelled 'till. 'Til is usually considered a spelling error, though widely used in advertising: Open 'til ten.

Posted by everybody happy now? August 13, 09 11:51 AM
  1. @APD- ahhh... Nevermind, you mussdup their 2 so you must be doinsit on poipose...

Posted by boogersnot August 13, 09 11:54 AM
  1. @APD you are hilarious with the grammar. I am glad you know the difference between there, their, and they're. ;)

Posted by Anthony August 13, 09 11:59 AM
  1. Bostonians are so proud of their ability to be critical of everything and everyone. FYI, it is not a very flattering trait.

Posted by trpt2dr August 13, 09 12:19 PM
  1. "I am glad their is still people that know they're spelling and grammar."

Good one.

Posted by Heather August 13, 09 12:25 PM
  1. Till is from the 12th century. Until is from the 13th. Too soon for you?

Posted by John Mazerolle August 13, 09 12:27 PM
  1. Concerning "till":

Posted by TheMovieFan August 13, 09 12:29 PM
  1. @APD...I think the word you wanted to include in your vent about other people's grammar was "their", not "they're". Ironic, much?

Posted by GRAMMAR GESTAPO August 13, 09 12:38 PM
  1. hey...@APD, i am hoping that your post was sarcastic but, just in case, let me help you out:
    I am glad THERE ARE still people that know THEIR spelling and grammar.

Posted by highlighter August 13, 09 12:41 PM
  1. Hey APD, it's "their", not "They're" in that particular context. Donkey! Also, "there are" is the proper grammer, not "there is".

Posted by Jelliefresh August 13, 09 12:51 PM
  1. From dictionary.com: Till and until are generally interchangeable in both writing and speech, though as the first word in a sentence until is usually preferred: Until you get that paper written, don't even think about going to the movies. · Till is actually the older word, with until having been formed by the addition to it of the prefix un-, meaning "up to." In the 18th century the spelling 'till became fashionable, as if till were a shortened form of until. Although 'till is now nonstandard, 'til is sometimes used in this way and is considered acceptable, though it is etymologically incorrect.

Posted by wicked August 13, 09 12:55 PM
  1. @APD...I hope you are being sarcastic but, just in case, let me help you out:
    "I am glad THERE ARE still people that know THEIR spelling and grammar."

Posted by highlighter August 13, 09 12:56 PM
  1. #11 Top Comment of the Year. Well played sir.

Posted by I am typing a name here August 13, 09 01:02 PM
  1. Adrian...Are you sure you are not Keith Richards? What is that babble you posted?

Posted by Chris August 13, 09 01:02 PM
  1. and while "till" may be the older word, I hardly think it was the authors intent to use it as such. Note the apostrophe, and its absence in the above.

"In the 18th century the spelling 'till became fashionable, as if till were a shortened form of until. Although 'till is now nonstandard, 'til is sometimes used in this way and is considered acceptable, though it is etymologically incorrect."

Oh, and @APD, you should probably be aware that "their" should be "there." Additionally, it's "there are", not "their is."

Posted by APD August 13, 09 01:13 PM
  1. APD - it's "there are". Thank God YOU'RE not a journalist.

Posted by bermudafan August 13, 09 01:14 PM
  1. ZYX - please. Why did you bother to post.

Posted by dtigerr August 13, 09 01:14 PM
  1. APD - It's not "they're" it's "their".

As for the deal, it's great for small business owners. I am preparing to bid on some contracts and this deal has cut my forecasted spending by $3,000 which allowed us to keep a Temp an extra two weeks on the job. Thanks JetBlue

Posted by Tiny Biz Owner August 13, 09 01:18 PM
  1. This is perfect for drug mules!

Posted by JetBlew August 13, 09 01:20 PM
  1. "I am glad their is still people that know they're spelling and grammar."

Should have been:

"I am glad there are still people who know their spelling and grammar."

For those of you not counting, that's four mistakes in one sentence.

@APD, go look up "irony" in the dictionary.

:P

Posted by bidemytime August 13, 09 01:21 PM
  1. great, a whole month fo flying for $599 just around the time when the swine flu is expected to come back. With my luck I get seated next to the guy with the sniffles.

No thanks

Posted by Matthew G. August 13, 09 01:25 PM
  1. If I wasn't already traveling to Belize Sept 12-19 this would be awesome. Just pick up every Friday-Sunday night take a flight somewhere exotic and just stay in a low budget hotel and experience some new places! Can JetBlue do this another month? I would so be in!

Posted by belizeantravel.com August 13, 09 01:26 PM
  1. I agree ZYX! Rail travel is the way to go!

Posted by toddskiis August 13, 09 01:27 PM
  1. I'd love to try JetBlue at least once. I only travel with family and Dad is a superfan of Southwest Airlines. SWA is extremely uncomfortable and aging fast. I would rather spend the extra $10 per ticket.

As for the deal, this would be a rare opportunity for grad students to have their big adventure before locking themselves down to a job. I'm sure they can tack on some more debt.

Posted by Andy August 13, 09 01:31 PM
  1. Awesome deal. I love it!

Also, just for the record, to everyone complaining about 'till' being poor grammar. Do some research before you make such statements. Till is proper English, although it is considered less formal and normally not used in writing, it is still 100% acceptable English. Also, it is not some new, shortened, slang, lazy version of 'until'. Its usage actually dates earlier than 'until'. If you're going to police the language, know the laws.

"I am glad their is still people that know they're spelling and grammar." (I so hope this was a joke)

Posted by Dlove August 13, 09 01:43 PM
  1. I believe I can fly...

Posted by anti-XYZ August 13, 09 01:46 PM
  1. Please tell me "@APD" is joking.

Posted by Rachel August 13, 09 01:55 PM
  1. > When did "till" replace "until" in the English language?

Last Thursday, about 10:30 am.

Posted by Frank P August 13, 09 02:36 PM
  1. APD- I certainly hope your last comment was a joke. "THEIR IS still people??" "Know THEY'RE grammar"
    Incorrect in so many ways it is quite funny.

Posted by Too funny August 13, 09 02:47 PM
  1. sounds like an excellent deal! if you don't like to fly, don't do it - no need to bash it. i really think that everyone who comes here just to be absolutely ridiculous and overly tedious should just get a hobby or something. pathetic.

Posted by jen August 13, 09 02:54 PM
  1. Till vs. Until
    I would suggest looking at the etymology of both words. You will find their roots to be very similar (Scandinavian) and the general belief that "till" preceded "until" into usage. No doubt a parallel could be drawn to the use of "to" and "unto" - two other prepositions similar in construct to the words in question.

Posted by JoePete August 13, 09 03:01 PM
  1. I feel like a fly on the wall watching a comedy skit unfold. 15 comments before this one and I think 9 or 10 of them are about the "till". It is almost as if a thread from and english teachers self-help website CRASHED into a blog about a great airline special. Good stuff folks - despite it being unintentional.

Posted by dtinatl August 13, 09 03:16 PM
  1. "I am glad their is still people that know they're spelling and grammar."

This is hilarious! So tell me APD... Your use of "their"....is it a spelling error or a grammatical error?!!

Posted by LKinLA August 13, 09 03:19 PM
  1. Carbon intensive? Really? Why are you even looking at a travel blog?

Posted by Erica August 13, 09 03:26 PM
  1. Hey ZYX! Carbon intensive? How about the giant diesel engines that pull the trains everywhere outside the Boston to D.C. stretch? Whatever. FYI Amtrak does offer an all-you-can-ride pass. On the train to NYC, I sat next to a kid from Oregon who had basically been spending the last month crossing the country on Amtrak, stopping at all kinds of places for a couple days then getting back on the train. Sounded good to me. I think it was about the same cost as the Jet Blue thing, maybe less.

Posted by pjonescharles August 13, 09 03:28 PM
  1. Time to Travel=sounds like an advertisement. It's now or "ever"? I'M "our"?

Posted by chuck barton August 13, 09 03:34 PM
  1. @APD - It would be "I am glad THERE ARE still people that know THEIR spelling and grammar". I hope you were trying to be sarcastic.

Posted by cjafooz August 13, 09 03:35 PM
  1. Dear ZXY, what data do you source when you make a statement that air travel is carbon-intensive. Air travel produces less than 2% of all carbon emissions produced through travel. If 250 people (A typical airplane load) drove alone in their car to their destination it is estimated that the carbon foot print would increase by 75,000% for a single trip. Air travel is mass transportation in an industry that has increased fuel efficiency by over 300% in the past 30 years. Let’s see Auto makers do that.

Posted by informed August 13, 09 03:44 PM
  1. More remarks about the grammer than about the story.

Guess I'll have to wait 'til some real news comes along!

Posted by EC August 13, 09 03:46 PM
  1. ABC and kittyfriel: there was no need to be obnoxious in responding to what XYZ wrote about wishing for an Amtrak deal like this. And yes air travel IS both uncomfortable and the most wasteful form of transportation... nothing wrong with saying that. Nobody nagged you to take the train or insulted you or anything so why are you so defensive? Why would you even care if some people prefer a train? Grow up.

Posted by AndrewS August 13, 09 03:55 PM
  1. till??? Please... where did that come from? Shouldn't it at least be ’til?

Posted by ang August 13, 09 03:57 PM
  1. That "till and until" Discussion is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with the article. Anyway I think it sound like a great deal, for people that can get out of town on a moments notice. Sign me up JetBlue.

Posted by Dorchester August 13, 09 03:58 PM
  1. are they kidding- for one month only! Geez, that doesn't make sense for the average Joe.

Posted by biggie August 13, 09 04:07 PM
  1. What if you purchase the pass and then cannot do anything with it because all flights are full (either with other pass owners or regular travelers)? How many passes can they sell wile ensuring this won't happen? It all sounds pretty weird, yuck

Posted by Me August 13, 09 04:36 PM
  1. Actually, I think the phrase is 'til death do us part. 'til is a shortening of until. Till is a cash register or purse. Till is not a synonym of until.

Posted by Eric B. August 13, 09 04:39 PM
  1. I love jet blue and the personal tv sets that makes holiday traveling a bit easier.
    its the best airline I flew in the US so far.

Posted by Sean August 13, 09 04:43 PM
  1. Hey ZYX, don't let those nay-sayers deter you. Amtrak is a rockin' way to travel that stops at 500 destinations across the U.S. And, they have had a 30-day rail pass option for years! Just Google "amtrak rail pass". Enjoy the ride -- it's the best!

Posted by Riding Amtrak and Loving It August 13, 09 05:22 PM
  1. Do you morons have anything else to do besides correct grammar or proper english in stories?

Posted by ab August 13, 09 06:11 PM
  1. Geez . . . While I LOVE JetBlue, how about a window longer than 30 days? Now THAT would be a great promotion. How many of us could swing a travel marathon within 30 days, and actually manage to have quality time at each destination, with only 30 days to do all the flying? How about giving us a bit more time to enjoy the travel? It shouldn't cost JetBlue any additional expense, it would just allow the traveller more quality time once we reach our destination.

Hey JetBlue? Are you listening???

Posted by Susan Debra August 13, 09 06:19 PM
  1. I am sorry you have so much time on your hands that a word like "till" bothers you.

Posted by Shirley August 13, 09 06:56 PM
  1. You idiots need to look things up before you criticize others. "Till" is completely acceptable and was an English word *before* "until." Unless the article originally had an apostrophe before the word and was later edited, there is no reason for this nonsense.

"Grammar" is not spelled "grammer," and it's baffling to me that there are people old enough to read Internet articles without a parent's supervision who still can't sort out the difference between "there," "their," and "they're."

Unless you know what you're talking about, give it up.

Posted by TC123 August 20, 09 04:41 PM

About globe-trotting Travel news, tips, deals and dispatches.
contributors
  • Anne Fitzgerald, Globe Travel Editor
  • Paul Makishima, Globe Assistant Sunday Editor
  • Eric Wilbur, Boston.com staff
  • Kari Bodnarchuk writes about outdoor adventures, offbeat places, and New England.
  • Patricia Borns, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs travel, maritime, and historical narratives as well as blogs and books.
  • Patricia Harris, a regular contributor to Globe Travel, is author or co-author of more than 20 books on travel, food, and popular culture.
  • Paul E. Kandarian, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs New England and Caribbean stories.
  • Chris Klein is a regular contributor to Globe Travel. His latest book is "The Die-Hard Sports Fan's Guide to Boston."
  • David Lyon, a regular contributor to Globe Travel, is author or co-author of more than 20 books on travel, food, and popular culture.
  • Hilary Nangle, author of Moon Maine, Moon Coastal Maine, and Moon Acadia National Park, writes about soft adventure, skiing, cultural travel, and food.
  • Joe Ray, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs food and travel stories from Europe.
  • Necee Regis is a regular contributor to Globe Travel.