Chicken paprikas recipe
Hot paprika adds an incredibly appealing warmth to this dish. Red, orange, and yellow bell peppers have a less pronounced flavor than green, which are more traditional. Add a few slices of sweet or hot raw pepper to each dish before serving.
|1||chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|1||onion, thinly sliced|
|1||medium red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into strips|
|1||clove garlic, crushed|
|1||tablespoon hot paprika|
|1||cup chicken stock|
|1/2||cup canned whole tomatoes, crushed in a bowl|
|1/4||cup sour cream|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
|1||sweet pepper (such as cubanelle) or mild hot pepper (such as poblano), cored, seeded, and cut into rings|
2. In a large flameproof casserole over medium, heat the oil. When it is hot, add half the chicken pieces and cook without disturbing for 3 minutes. Turn the chicken when it moves easily. Brown the other side for 3 minutes more. Remove the chicken from the pan and transfer to a bowl. Brown the remaining chicken in the same way. Remove all the chicken from the pan.
3. Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until the pepper softens. Stir in the paprika and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
4. Stir in the stock and cook, stirring, to release the sediment from the bottom of pan. When mixture is bubbling, add tomatoes and stir well.
5. Return the chicken to the pan with any juices in the bowl. Spoon the vegetable mixture on top.
6. Cover the pan and simmer the mixture for 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
7. Remove the chicken from the pan and transfer to a deep serving dish; keep warm.
8. In a bowl, whisk the sour cream. Gradually stir a few spoonfuls of the hot cooking liquid into the sour cream. Stir the sour cream mixture back into the pan. Cook without boiling over low heat until the sour cream is heated through. Spoon the sauce and vegetables over the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley and garnish with the sweet pepper.