How to get there
The lowest round-trip air fare between Boston and Cancun at press time was $375 on
Renting a house
This website put us in direct contact with the owner of the house we rented. Color photos gave us a good look at the property, and the owner offered testimonials from previous tenants. The owner also gave us telephone numbers and addresses of where we could reach her, which made us confident that she was legitimate.
This site is organized by region and includes hotels as well as rental properties.
Operated by Vacation Rentals by Owner, this site claims to have 34,000 rental properties worldwide.
Many websites offer these tips to ensure a good experience:
1. Ask for photographs of the property and make sure they were shot recently, or at least that they reflect the property as it is.
2. Get the property's correct address.
3. Ask the owner for references and where else the property is advertised. If there is a distinguishable phrase or address in the online listing, try googling it for information.
4. Make sure to get the owner's telephone number and address and take it with you on your trip.
5. Sign a lease or rental agreement. Make sure you understand the refund or cancellation policy.
6. Consider renting through an established property management company or a travel association. If something goes wrong, you may have better recourse than you would if you rented from an individual.
7. Check with the Better Business Bureau, if one exists, in your vacation town.