Grilled pizza margarita— Dante de Magistris, dante and il Casale
Serves 4 to 6
- 3¾ cups lukewarm water
- ½ ounce fresh yeast
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ pound whole wheat flour
- 1 pound all-purpose flour
- 24 ounces high gluten flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Extra oil (for the bowl)
- Extra all-purpose flour (for sprinkling)
- Pepper, to taste
- About 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 16 whole basil leaves
1. In an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the water, yeast, and molasses. Stir and set aside for 5 minutes. Stir in the olive oil.
2. In a separate mixing bowl combine the whole wheat, all-purpose, and high-gluten flours with the salt. Whisk until well mixed.
3. Turn the molasses mixture to low speed. Add the dry ingredients a little at a time. Let the dough mix for 10 minutes.
4. Lightly oil a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a towel, and set aside for 2 hours.
5. Punch down the dough and divide it into 8 balls. On a lightly floured counter, roll out each ball to ⅛-inch thickness. Drizzle olive oil and season one side of the dough with salt, pepper.
6. Set the oven at 450 degrees.
7. Grill the oiled side of the rounds. Place the rounds on a baking sheet grilled sides down. Top with a thin layer sauce, mozzarella, whole basil leaves, and a sprinkle of olive oil. Bake the pizza for 3 minutes.
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
1. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, oregano, salt, and red pepper.
2. Mix well with your hands.