Grilled scallops on bruschetta with tomato and Vidalia onion jam— Eric Swartz, Davio's
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 large Vidalia or other sweet onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 12 large scallops
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch slices
1. Light a charcoal or gas grill.
2. In a large skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of the oil. Cook the onions, salt, and pepper, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, sugar, oregano, basil, and parsley. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Brush bread with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Grill the bread until golden. Sprinkle the scallops with salt and pepper; grill them until cooked through.
5. Spoon onions and tomato onto the bread. Place 1 scallop on each.