RadioBDC Logo
| Listen Live
< Back to front page Text size +

Revolution rout Philadelphia 5-1

Posted by Julian Cardillo  August 25, 2013 07:32 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

FOXBORO, Mass- The Revolution unleashed a goal parade on Sunday night at Gillette Stadium as they beat the Philadelphia Union 5-1.

Kelyn Rowe scored on two long range blasts to lead the Revolution, while Juan Agudelo, Diego Fagundez, and an own goal by Philadelphia's Amobi Okugo made up the rest of the Revolution's scorecard.

Rowe opened the scoring in the 26th minute by running onto a short pass from Chad Barrett and firing a low drive from 25 yards into the back of the net past Zac MacMath. His second goal was more impressive, as he curled a thumping shot from 30 yards out into the back of the net in the 65th minute.

"Kelyn Rowe can hit those," said Revolution coach Jay Heaps. "He hits those in training a lot. A lot of times he's trying to find the rifle, sniper shot. He's got some good range on that shot."

"There were a bunch of good goals," added Rowe. "It was nice to find the back of the net in a big way. We've had minimal goal games. We needed to come back strong. We know we're capable of it. We've got guys who can score."

Sandwiched in between Rowe's wonder strikers were two goals and a lot of controversy.

After being bossed around by the Revolution in possession in the first half, the Union began the second half with more energy. They wasted little time finding an equalizer, as Danny Cruz tied the game in the 51st minute. He got played into the penalty area by Conor Casey, rounded Matt Reis, and then chipped a shot that fell inside the lower right corner of the net.

The Union got a positive bump in momentum from scoring the goal and they dominated play for ten minutes. In that chunk of time, Philadelphia had two shots that hit the back of the net that were not credited as goals

Far side linesman Craig Lowry called Sebastien LeToux offside when he finished off a rebound in the 53rd minute. Sheanon Williams had the first shot, an effort that came off the left post.

That call was questionable. The call that referee Allen Chapman would make in the 55th minute was controversial.

Casey found the back of the net after Reis dropped a cross in the six yard box. Casey pounced on the loose ball and finished easily, but Chapman took the goal away and called a foul on Casey, whose knee collided with Reis after the ball went into the net.

A confrontation ensued between Reis and Casey. Philadelphia players ran to Chapman to protest the call, which appeared to be incorrect on the replay. Had Chapman allowed the goal to stand, the result of the game would have likely been very different.

Nevertheless, the goal was not counted and the Revolution pushed through Philadelphia's pressure and scored four unanswered goals.

"We just stayed focused," said Agudelo of how the Revolution bounced back from Philadelphia's pressure. "Those sequences they had, they woke us up. We did, we woke up, and we scored four goals after that."

"Once we got the second goal the floodgates opened. We were more comfortable, we were more confident. There was more space because they were trying to get a point."

In the 59th minute, Amobi Okugo inadvertently redirected a shot by Juan Agudelo into the back of the net. Agudelo received the ball on the edge of the penalty area off a pass by Diego Fagundez, then fired a low drive that deflected into the net off Okugo.

Rowe extended the Revolution's lead with his golazo from thirty yards out in the 65th minute.

Diego Fagundez then scored his team-leading eighth goal of the season in the 71st minute. He took control of the ball on the left side of the field, about 30 yards from goal, ran into the penalty area, and fired a low drive past MacMath to make it 4-1.

Agudelo tallied the Revolution's final goal in the 74th minute, his seventh of the season, by finding himself alone in the penalty area off a pass from Fagundez. Agudelo then took a touch and pounded the ball into the back of the net past a helpless MacMath.

The 5-1 scoreline and the little time remaining in the match all but cancelled out Philadelphia's chances to comeback. Okugo sealed the deal when he was awarded his second yellow card in stoppage time for a reckless tackle and got ejected.

The win pushes the Revolution into playoff position as they leap frog both Chicago and Houston. Philadelphia are ahead by just two points in the conference standings, though the Revolution have some momentum ahead of Friday's match at Toronto.

Nevertheless, Heaps was reluctant to call Sunday night's blowout a statement. Nine games remain in the regular season and the playoff chase will only continue to heat up.

"We need points," explained Heaps. "Statements are when you make the playoffs and do well in the playoffs. We need to get points and do well at home. We've let points slip away and we had to right that ship."

If you want to reach Julian, email him at and follow him on twitter @juliancardillo

This blog is not written or edited by or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

About Corner Kicks: Julian Cardillo offers insight and analysis about the New England Revolution as well as European and international soccer.

Translate this page

Loading menu...


browse this blog

by category