Translate into:
Revolution 3, Sounders 1

Offense awakens for Revolution

They top Seattle, end 4-game slide

By Frank Dell’Apa
Globe Staff / September 5, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

FOXBOROUGH — The Revolution needed only 11 minutes to break their scoring slump last night.

Second-half scores by Chris Tierney, Marko Perovic, and Kheli Dube gave the Revolution a 3-1 victory over the Seattle Sounders, New England’s first two-plus goal game since May 29. The result also snapped a four-game losing streak and kept the Revolution’s playoff chances alive.

“Well, I think it speaks for itself after the week we’ve had,’’ Revolution coach Steve Nicol said. “To come back from those two games [2-1 losses to Philadelphia and Monarcas Morelia], a third game in eight days, and go about it the way we did I think says all we need to know about the players — the attitude and the commitment, how we stick together, it was fantastic.’’

The Revolution (7-12-3, 24 points) had not scored more than once in a game since July 10 (2-0 win over the Los Angeles Galaxy) and had produced no more than two goals in a game since a 3-2 win over New York May 29. In fact, the Revolution had scored one goal in 11 straight matches in MLS and SuperLiga play.

This time the Revolution came from a goal down as Tierney (70th minute) scored his first MLS goal, Perovic converted his team-leading sixth goal (73d), and Dube got his first goal of the season (81st).

The Revolution had been outscored, 10-4, in the last four games, enduring the disappointment of defeat in the SuperLiga final Wednesday, their playoff hopes fading.

And, though the Revolution set the tone and pressured the Sounders (9-9-5, 32 points) early, they fell behind as Steve Zakuani converted off a James Riley cross following a throw-in.

Zakuani was unmarked in front of the goal after Alvaro Fernandez and Riley played give-and-go, Riley centering from the end line, Zakuani having time to take a touch to control the ball, then fire past Matt Reis in the 59th minute.

But the Revolution rallied following a brief altercation involving captain Shalrie Joseph and Seattle defender Patrick Ianni, then a clash between the Revolution’s Kevin Alston and Seattle forward Fredy Montero, who was cautioned in the 66th minute.

Tierney had a chance to tie off an Alston throw-in in the 69th minute, Riley clearing off the line. Two minutes later, another Alston throw-in was headed to the back post by Joseph, this time for Tierney to head past Kasey Keller.

“On the first one I realized they weren’t tracking that back post run,’’ Tierney said. “I knew Shalrie is always going to mix it up in there and things happen when he’s in there throwing his body around and I was just hoping another chance would come — you can’t miss two of those, I guess.

“It was just a matter of getting the ball in the net, simple as that. We played some good stuff, kind of the story of the season. That last ball was just missing for the finish. We knew that if we just stuck to it the way we were playing, creating chances, we were going to score, eventually.’’

Perovic broke the tie, touching a pass toward teammate Osvaldo Alonso, who deflected the ball toward the Seattle goal. Perovic simply ran onto what turned out to be a perfect through ball, sending the shot past Keller for a 2-1 lead.

Dube then rocketed a shot from 25 yards off an Ilija Stolica hold-up. Dube, who totaled 10 goals in all competitions last season, last scored Oct. 3 at Colorado.

Perovic was cautioned in the final minutes and will be suspended for the Revolution’s visit to Chivas USA Friday.

GlobeSoccer on Twitter

    Waiting for Twitter...
Follow our twitter accounts